• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General why are dwarves harder to think of varients for?

aco175

Legend
How many do you need? FR has several kinds of them. Artic dwarves, Jungle dwarves, deep, peech(sp), duergar, hill, mountain, gold and likely a few more.

ECMO3

Hero
it occurred to me when contemplating on making a cooler setting of the triumvirate of nearly omnipresent options dwarves seem to all end up sort of clones of each other and this bugged me thus I am making this thread.

elves I swear you find a new hill and you will find a new varient.

orc do well but still need to move beyond barbarians

humans are not a part triumvirate as they are the only real option.

why can't I figure out how to make more different variants of dwarves past making them evil?
I also notice this in other settings so it does not seem to be a me limitation.

why is this and can it be remedied?
Pick up Baldur's Gate 3 and you will see a lot of characters, especially Dwarves, against stereotype. I don't think Ihave come across a single bearded Dwarf in that game.

With the floating ASIs there is no real mechancial reason, it is all down to a lack of creativity.

Scribe

Legend
Pick up Baldur's Gate 3 and you will see a lot of characters, especially Dwarves, against stereotype. I don't think Ihave come across a single bearded Dwarf in that game.

With the floating ASIs there is no real mechancial reason, it is all down to a lack of creativity.
I mean...the Duergar are pretty true. Then there's one in Act 3, but I took this to be a species question.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I liked the urdunnir who were essentially elemental stone dwarfs, who ate gems like xorn and could mold stone and metal like clay, no beards

there was also the Durzagon half-fiend druegar and Korobokoru (Kara-Tur), not to mention Athasian Muls.

Derro takes you into the broader realm of dwarfish goblinoid creatures

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Don’t forget those crazy Derro dwarves

1693192846932.jpeg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One option would be, just as elves tend to be divided by ecological region, to divide dwarves by geological region. So your classic dwarves are granite dwarves, and then you have basalt dwarves, limestone dwarves, metamorphic dwarves, sandstone dwarves, etc.

I liked the urdunnir who were essentially elemental stone dwarfs, who ate gems like xorn and could mold stone and metal like clay, no beards
In one homebrew, I actually had dwarves be earth elementals native to the Prime Material. Moradin actually breathed life into carved stone statues to create dwarves. They reproduced by carving new ones, and performing a life-giving ritual.

And the type of stone affected the powers & abilities of the individual dwarf, including their favored class.

Remove ads