• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are Dwarves Scottish?

STARP_JVP

First Post
I was wondering about this last night. From Jackson's version of LOTR to the Order of the Stick and everything in between, Dwarves are Scottish. The stereotypical Dwarf speaks with a Glaswegian accent. He drinks, a lot, and headbutts people. Sometimes Dwarves are portrayed as sort of Nordic or Viking, but most of the time, especially in comic fantasy, Dwarves are always Scottish. Here's my question.
Why?
Does anybody know where the cliche came from? Did somebody invent the Scottish Dwarf and it caught on or is it one of those unexplainable things? Anybody? Does anybody know? Anyone at all?
(sound of crickets)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Clans Laddie, it's the Clans
Dwarven society = Clans, Scottish society = Clans

In my alternate-Earth Western world (with D&D races) I made all of the Viking-influenced societies dwarves.

STARP_JVP said:
Dwarves are always Scottish. Why?
They're not Scottish in my game: they're Chinese.

Okay, well, actually, I do have some Scottish dwarves, and some Korean dwarves, some prominent German dwarves, and a few Viking dwarves, but the Chinese dwarves are by far the most prominent right now.

Felix

Explorer
For your comparison:

Groundskeeper Willie:
"Ach, brother an sisters arrr naturul enemies... like tha Eanglish and tha Scots. An tha Welsh an tha Scots. An tha Japaneeese an tha Scots. An tha Scots an tha Scots. Bloody Scots! Th' r'ooont Scotland!"

Dwarfs:
Don't like elves.
Don't like giants.
Don't like orcs.
Don't like humans.
Don't like halflings.
Don't like dwarves from other clans.

:)

Besides, dwarf legs are so stumpy, they'd look like Calvin wearing either pants or shorts. Might as well wear kilts.

Baron Opal

First Post
STARP_JVP said:
From Jackson's version of LOTR to the Order of the Stick and everything in between, Dwarves are Scottish.... Why?

In my game they're German if anything. Das Ring des Niebelungen and all that.

Macbeth

First Post
Maybe it's because Scots are cool?

Honestly, I don't know if there's a real reason, but if you need a basis for a society of clans that drink a lot, are angry, and are legendary warriors, the Scots seem as good as any...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads