Why aren't there short, fat PC races?

Rechan

Adventurer
Because the assumption of what is attractive in American culture is currently "Thin". Therefore, the art, in order to appeal to the majority, is going to depict what the assumed definition of attractive is so that the books get sold.

I don't know that it's to do with attractiveness.

There are a good few races that are deliberately in violation of what American culture considers to be attractive: Dragonborn, Tieflings, Dwarves, Halflings, and Goliaths.

But it is certainly true that where in the past Fantasy Art - the visual genre - often emphasized plumpness as an aspect of the fantastic that is no longer the case.

Rather the opposite is true where willowy means supernatural.

Look at poor old Tilda Swinton - she actually has to put on pounds to play a mundane character in Michael Clayton otherwise everyone just assumes she's an angel or giantess.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Because your typical adventurer is going to have a relatively athletic build. Those who are less physically oriented, IE wizards, are generally depicted as the frail, weak body type. You're more than welcome to flavor your character outside of that; however, the art will most often be of your stereotypical adventurer type.

That, and being short and fat by definition rather than just as a character trait seems a bit... off. But that might just be me.

Rechan

Adventurer

There are a good few races that are deliberately in violation of what American culture considers to be attractive: Dragonborn, Tieflings, Dwarves, Halflings, and Goliaths.
They don't have to be Sexy. After all, Conan (Big Beefy Guy in a Loincloth) isn't "attractive", if you ask many women. That's not what's SEXY. Steroids with a sword isn't what makes'm swoon.

Besides, those get a pass for being badass. Awesome. Grim dark and broody!

Usually, Fat doesn't draw that same connotation.

pawsplay

Hero

I'll give you the Dwarves. Tieflings, though, look like Hollister models with horns stuck on, Halflings look like Elijah Wood, Goliaths like big manly types. Even dragonborn are basically scalies, especially the female ones. Everyone seems to be pretty low fat percentage.

Dausuul

Legend
They don't have to be Sexy. After all, Conan (Big Beefy Guy in a Loincloth) isn't "attractive", if you ask many women. That's not what's SEXY. Steroids with a sword isn't what makes'm swoon.

Besides, those get a pass for being badass. Awesome. Grim dark and broody!

Usually, Fat doesn't draw that same connotation.

I don't think you'd find a lot of people, male or female, who would consider dragonborn sexy.

op1983

First Post
Adventurers can be on the road for months or even years at a time. While travelling they will either scrounge food when they are hungry or carry rations.

That type of lifestyle along with constant moving by foot while carrying armor backpack weapons and so on with keep the fat trimmed off and everyone in pretty good athletic shape.

Even the idea that the wizards should be smaller because they dont wear armor is a little different. Anyone whos had to walk at a brisk pace with a heavy pack on their back will tell you it's not a task for weakbodied individuals.

I think given the right circumstances a hero could be not quit physically fit or normal looking. But after some time on the road adventuring they would slim down. Even a slim hero would probably bulk up a bit.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I'm glancing through the PHB2 and realize more and more that only tall, skinny people are considered smart and good and all-that. I get the impression that the next race is going to be 9 feet tall because that's evidently where all this is going. Why arent' there short fat races? Even gnomes, with their 'high cheekbones' must have been put on the Atkins diet and now working out with warlords who have the athletic-trainer feat.

If I want to play a short, fat race, (by definition) what are my options?

jh

I think it is because gamers don't like playing anything that so strongly resembles themselves in real life :p

Remove ads