Why did Hasbro buy WotC

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Henry said:
According to Peter Adkison, the buyout was a move that made the shareholders VERY happy, monetarily speaking. Whether it was the best thing, I'll let history decide. Sic transit via mundi. :)

Well, for the shareholder it was certainly awesome! :p

As for the rest of us, I'm convinced it was not such a good thing...

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Ranger REG said:
WotC also handles Avalon Hill strategy boardgames, so basically they got the top two selling product types in the market lining their pockets, with RPGs falling in a distant third place.

And now they are making a collectible version of Axis & Allies... (which was originally a game from MB, but Hasbro merged the brand with AH).

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Nikosandros said:
And now they are making a collectible version of Axis & Allies... (which was originally a game from MB, but Hasbro merged the brand with AH).

After buying Avalon Hill from Monarch Avalon (greeting cards) Hasbro went about reviving the company. As part of this Axis and Allies and Risk were assigned to AH. But things fell through (mismanagement as Avalon Hill), so Hasbro turned everything over to Wizards, since Wizards was doing so much better, and had experience with strategy games.

Now if you want a puzzlement; why did Hasbro buy Avalon Hill?

Romnipotent

First Post
You're all off! How can all of you be so blind.

Hasbro has been a powerhouse of younger peoples toys. Mouse Trap, Cuddle bears, Mr Potato Head! Your teenage years, with battleship, super soakers, M:TG, micro machines, and now bratz dolls. And now your adult years, with Avalon Hill games, D&D, more M:TG, and the Tomahawk missile (ok maybe not, but they could!).

They owned our creative imaginations as children, a time when we didn't (hopefully) have to work to make a living. When we remember more happy days and block out the bad ones, where we didn't get everything we wanted that christmas. Sure we could have fun with a cardboard box, but the biggest boxes were the ones Hasbro products we're shipped in. As we grew older we gave up our childish ways (to some extent, never let it be said Im an adult...). Now days they unknowing brains of todays children are seeing mini Hasbro logos all over the place, small subtexts on the TV adds of Video Now, Beyblade. It starts even before you're literate, Playskool, Old McDonald toys!
You've seen hasbro all your life, and may not have known it. But once you grew up their presence wasn't around, the toys less entertaining, the customer loyalty and dollars were disappearing. Consider the aging population, how can you make the money from them? You buy up the companies that have an older market, and make sure you stay family friendly but dont panda to a jeuvenile market. Hold in those aging children who escape with alternate games!

Now, with the aging population becoming increasingly relevant being able to have a scaling product line for toddlers to seniors without a lapsing age group bracket becomes decisive in ensuring a powerful company.
WotC picked up Pokemon-ey and that set off Hasbro's alarms, and looking over the other licences envisioned an army of gamers who from the age of 1 week, to 1 week from dying would be playing with a toy, made for you by the hard working south east asians subcontracted to Hasbro.

All this leads to the inevitable worship of Hasbro! Thats right! You are to worship Hasbro for all its worth. They fund the WotC board of Directors if they cant fund themselves. They may even keep a focus on a mature yet family friendly product range (unlike Games Workshop who somehow lost me when they pandered more and more to kids in their stores; which gave up the game and sold all their minis for redicuolusly low prices :D).
How many of you have looked at Heroscape and thought "Heh, cool, I could use that for scenery and a nation map, use some clear spray varnish and coat them, then write on them as needed..." and all we can say is Hasbro has something new... if we even catch on its Hasbro.

The true meaning of the acquisition was to complete THE POWER OF THREE!
Baby - Teen - Adult
you may not know this, but if you look into it all closely, you probably (speculation galore continue!) will find every house or family has hasbro goods, for all the ages, without knowing. Its not to make money, but to own your souls! your precious spirit bits!
WotC is simply the pie that was baked to perfection, and served by Hasbro to us continually with new pie flavours all the time... mmmm pie...

Hasbro: "Making the World smile." because just the children aint enough! When you smile you crunch up your eyes and subliminily see a "Worshop Lord Illpilazzo and Hasbro." [colour=black]Would I lie to you?[/colour]

Fox 'Romnipotent' Mulder, over and out

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The mind flayers won't let them go.

Seriously, what's so bad about Hasbro owning WotC? So far the only negative thing has been hardcovers not worth their own price when compared to 3rd party. Which, well, as long as 3rd parties do their job, I don't care about what WotC does with their shiny shiny paper.

RFisher

Explorer
Len said:
I wasn't comparing. The question was, Why keep the company? "They're only making a decent profit - Let's dump them!!!" - makes no sense to me.
That's too much trouble. If they aren't being profitable enough, you just lay-off all the employees & keep all the intellectual property.

The patent may have been the biggest reason for acquiring them, but Hasbro also got a few strong brands that I'm sure they'd be loathe to part with, including D&D. D&D sales might not show up on a Hasbro exec's or board member's radar, but the D&D brand does.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing all the once great toy companies pulled into Hasbro & sucked dry of their soul. (Sometimes it happens quickly. Sometimes it happens slowly. But it always happens.) I suppose it's the natural order of things, but it's heart-breaking. There are some good newer small-fries taking up some of the slack, but Hasbro's so big & loud & flashy it can be hard to see around them sometimes.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
Last Unicorn, rather than Decipher.

According to Peter Adkison, the buyout was a move that made the shareholders VERY happy, monetarily speaking. Whether it was the best thing, I'll let history decide. Sic transit via mundi. :)
I wonder if WotC overextended themselves at that time. Granted, they had plans for the LUG office at Los Angeles (being close to Hollywood than Seattle). But before we knew it, Decipher undermined WotC by negotiating with Paramount for the pen-n-paper Trek license. I can still remember the surprise announcement back at GenCon 2000.

Anyhoo, that year (the latter half) also marked the beginning of the massive Hasbro layoff that also affected their subsidiary companies like WotC. I believe that's when Adkison resigned.

Ranger REG

Explorer
mythusmage said:
Now if you want a puzzlement; why did Hasbro buy Avalon Hill?
Well, AH did have good games like Risk. Hasbro just don't know how to market them, yet they have been able to do well for Milton-Bradley games like Axis & Allies prior to handing it over to WotC and AH.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Uhmm. Sorry to say that Risk was always a Parker Prothers game - which is owned by Hasbro and has been for a long, long time now.

Hasbro can take credit for Risk's success - as well as rebranding it (and Monopoly) with other marks & licensed properties.

It may have been rebranded an AH game - don't know. But if so - that was simply part of a strategy of grouping "war games" with one another.

Remove ads