Why did Hasbro buy WotC

Glyfair

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Okay, my bad. But AH used to make Stratego, right?

Nope. At least, not until the newer versions of some of Hasbro's other lines were folded into Avalon Hill (the Stratego Legends line, for example).

They've done Squad Leader (which Hasbro has licensed out to the company Curt Schilling partially owns), Dune, Kingmaker, Magic Realm, Starship Troopers, Titan, Advanced Civilization, the James Bond 007 RPG, Diplomacy and too many wargames to count (OK, you can count them at http://grognard.com/info/ah.html#ah ).

Steel_Wind

Legend
007 was Victory Games.

One of the finest systems to come out of the early 80s. I always felt that JB 007 never got the respect it deserved. That was an elegant design.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Steel_Wind said:
007 was Victory Games.

One of the finest systems to come out of the early 80s. I always felt that JB 007 never got the respect it deserved. That was an elegant design.

And Victory Games was an imprint of Avalon Hill. When VG started bleeding money it was folded into AH.

Along with wargames and RPGs AH also published standard strategy games, family games, sports games, and the financial game, Acquire. As a matter of fact, most of Avalon Hill's sales were non-wargame/RPG. However, Avalon Hill was not well managed. (Deja vu all over again. :) ) For years the parent company, Monarch Avalon was used to shore up Avalon Hill. Then the greeting card business took a nose dive. There was a regime change and the new people decided to divest themselves of the albatross.

Hasbro now enters the picture. Hasbro had been interested in obtaining some of Avalon Hill's better selling titles. Titles they may have turned over to Parker Brothers. Now with AH going for a bargain basement price, they could get the whole magilla. So they bought it, put together a management team, and waited for results.

And waited, and waited, and waited. And waited some more. You've heard of vapor ware? Avalon Hill was now a vapor firm. Hasbro got sick of the mess and closed it down. When Wizards of the Coast came on board Hasbro decided to turn all the AH RPGs over, and fold Avalon Hill into Wizards as the company's war game imprint. So now a company Col. Pladoh tried selling D&D to is a part of the company that owns D&D.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Steel_Wind said:
007 was Victory Games.

Any chance that Sony might grant JB007 RPG license this millenium? Or is that depend on the EverQuest [pen-n-paper] RPG sale?

Remove ads