• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do console games suck so bad???

ssampier

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
...and our rock music and television and videa games? :cool:

I'm guess you could consider me Generation Y, I'm 25 years old. Like the original poster, I grew up playing Atari 2600 with Mrs. PacMan and Frogger. I prefer computer games such as RPG, adventure, and RTS. I don't really have the patience for console games with their "complicated" controls like the XBox and PSII (I got totally whippd in that 1st person Star Wars games, not sure of the name).

It's not that I couldn't learn, I just choose not to; I'm happily playing Warcraft III, Age of Empires, etc. on the PC.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Now that I think about it, it's almost a case of inversion.

Console games have gotten more complicated, but at the same time, computer games have gotten simpler.

When was the last time a computer game came with a keyboard overlay? Or the last time you had to map out a dungeon yourself in a computer RPG? Or had to type anything other than your name? Or were directed to read a paragraph in a book?

ThirdWizard

First Post
Iron Chef, do not play Ninja Gaiden! The new X-Box version, that is. It is like your anti-thesis. ;)

It is also, by the way one of my favorite video games! :D

Most of your problems have been around for a while, though. Split screen was the only way to multiplayer in the old days. Now we have Halo 2 on X-Box live, wi-fi Nintendo DS, and generally multiplayer games everywhere. Traps, puzzles, and riddles? Zelda had 'em. You could even say the old platformers like Metroid had their puzzle elements. And, Resident Evil is an old game. ;) And, those fancy button combos, well, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, and the fighting game genre pretty much created them.

So, I think its just nostalgia talking. By the way, I'm 26. :)

Iron_Chef

First Post
Hated Nintendo; controllers were not rounded on edges and hurt my palms to hold. Never played Zelda, Metroid, etc. I was exclusively a Sega Genesis player (Sonic rules! LOL), then moved on to Sega CD and 3DO and then PS1 to play Suikoden I + II and Resident Evil I-III.

I only play RE to shoot zombies, for the same reason I only watch zombie movies to see zombies eat people and get shot in the head. I don't like fighting mutant Cthulhu boss monsters which belong to some other genre and I hate solving puzzles. I just look 'em up on the internet and solve 'em by cheating. RE4 was a huge improvement over all previous editions... hardly any puzzles or traps, no using typewriter ribbons to save, targeted firing to make headshots easier... I died 93 times beating RE4 on normal mode. I died 184 times beating Darkwatch on normal mode.

Don't like fighting games. Can't master the controls. Too hard, makes my thumb hurt. :(

Hate Myst, 7th Guest, that kind of "smarty-pants" crap.

You know what game rocked for multi-player? Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. You play one screen up to 4 players at same time. That's the kind of multiplayer game I want.

Gamecube has hardly any good games, just RE4 and Gauntlet.

Call of Duty 2 was awful and other random thoughts... :\

aceofgames

First Post
Well, I think theres a 'console' divide where complexity directly butts heads with simplicity.
I've been playing video games most of my life.
Of course, I hate Sony and Microsoft and consider Nintendo to be near godliness.
If you willing to try, I'd say nintendo is your best bet- I've seen the Revolution controllers and I think they're going to get more people into video games simply because the setup seems intuitive.
If you find consoles annoying, play on PCs. If you want to play games, ignore the fighters and shoot'em ups and go for the solid RPGs. Ya' don't need dexterity for playing solid RPGs.
:cool:

babomb

First Post
Well, I don't mind pulling off a Hadouken once in a while, but you've got a point about some of these combos.

There is a reason that console games have gotten worse. (There are plenty of good console games nowadays. It's just that there's a lot more bad games made.) The problem is analogous to the movie industry. Basically, video games have become Big Business. You've got marketers deciding what games are made, and they want generic games with "mass appeal", rather than something inventive (and therefore risky). Because the hardware abilities have gone up, more and more time and money is spent making the graphics look good. Now, people like you and me might not care much what the graphics look like, but there are a lot of people who would refuse to buy a game just because the graphics are on the Super Nintendo level, just like some people won't watch Casablanca just because it's black-and-white.

The more time is spent on graphics, the less is spent on making the game fun. As a programmer, I can tell you that 3D graphics take a lot more work than simple sprite graphics or text-only. And in 3D, you have to worry about camera issues (which most games do a poor job with) and so on.

However, this is not true of all games. Katamari Damacy for Playstation 2 is an excellent game, and you don't need to press any buttons. You move two joysticks. Nintendo is sort of the bright light of innovation in the industry. When they announced the DS, I thought they were insane, but it allowed them to create many fun, inventive games. Sony's PSP, meanwhile is a neat piece of hardware with very few good games. The Playstation and X-Box have some good games, but that's only because they have a lot more games. Percentage-wise, Nintendo has a great deal more winners. The Nintendo Revolution has me excited.

Rykion

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Console games have gotten more complicated, but at the same time, computer games have gotten simpler.

I came to the same realization on another set of forums. I believe that the next generation of consoles will make PC and console games virtually indistinguishable in terms of complication.

Remove ads