Why do Dwarves drink Whiskey or Ale?

fusangite

First Post
Hussar said:
But, hang on. Dwarves live underground. They don't farm wheat or barley, or at least, they're not known for it.
Dwarves are big importers, especially of charcoal. Like herdsmen, dwarves and city-dwellers, dwarves like in societies that are highly dependent on trade or tribute. Fortunately, dwarves have all this gold...
Where does all that beer come from?
Actually, the main thing that limited European beer production in the Middle Ages was charcoal -- energy needed to be cheap and available to produce beer on the grand scale. Clearly, the dwarves have available (if not cheap) energy on a grand scale, given all their smelting.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Y'know, I didn't know eighter, so i went down to my local Dwarf tavern... and i did the logical thing: I asked.

"If yer wife had a beard thicker than ye did, ye'd drink too!"
-Emasculation? perhaps. Though it could equally be sarcasm.

"Look, Aye jes spent twelve hours bashin' rocks out of other rocks, hopin' fer a good vein to pay meh dowry. I jes wanna drink in paece."
-Ahh, a reference to the dwarven practice of "buying" themselves from their parents in order to become recognized as adults.

"I'm drinkin' 'cause he's drinkin'... an she's drinkin', and ev'yone else is drinkin'. Why ain'cha drinkin'?"
-Peer pressure, clearly, with lower charisma comes a reduced sense of self.

"Alcohol's me permanant accessory an' friend! Alcohol's a party time nah'cessity!"
-I think he was a bard, 'cause i don't remember the rest of the things that he said to me, but I did buy him a bunch of drinks...

Last edited:

Corvidae

First Post
Just a thought,
But back when most drawings of dwarves had psuedo viking horns then probably some of the drinking came from the idea of the vikings.

A second thought could be that since dwarf culture seems to be based on germanic culture, the colorful clothing, long beards, and smithing skills, perhaps one of the stereotypes of germanic culture has carried over.

John

Pbartender

First Post
Why do Dwarves drink Whiskey or Ale?

Because that's what stereotypical Irishmen and Scotsmen drink, and your stereotypical dwarf speaks with a sterotypical Irish or Scots accent even though they tend to have a stereotypical Norse culture.

kirinke

First Post
Well, back in the day, the reason why most people drank beer and other types of alchohol and booze is that the water supply was not of the best ya know? I mean, they didn't have the advantages that we do, that is modern sanitation and plumbing.

So in order to wet that dry throat and not get sick, you drank something fermented.

Warehouse23

First Post
Dwarven mead could be brewed from honey from two sources: 1) Honey is an ideal trade good (see also, medieval Russia--source of practically all the honey used by the vikings to make mead) as it keeps almost indefinitely in well-sealed jars, or 2) Honey harvested from cliff-roosting bees.

Fishbone

First Post
This thread makes me want to make a minor deity called Uncle Neckbeard Fleischmanns who brings fashion and cheap vodka to the masses.

Hussar

Legend
Storyteller01 said:
There are stories of jail prisoners making alcoholic drinks by tossing bread and fruit/desserts into a bag, letting the yeast ferment (typing from memory, so if anyone has the details let me know).

It isn't much of a stretch to believe that they have tubers/fruits for a base, and some fungus that acts as the yeast. Get past that, and the distilling shouldn't be a problem (dwarves do get a bonus for metalworking... ;) )

I saw that too. You make "wine" in the toilet with all the sweets you can find and some moldy bread.

Heh, found the linkie

JustKim

First Post
Warehouse23 said:
2) Honey harvested from cliff-roosting bees.
Ants and bees are very closely related. They belong to the same suborder, and most ants possess a vestigal stinger from when ants, bees and wasps were all the same creature. They have the same life cycle, colony structure and powerful brains developed to communicate with each other. They are also both very skilled farmers and manufacturers of food.

Here's the interesting part though: ants make honey.

They don't even need flowers to do it.

Several species of ant collect pollen the same way a bee does and use it to produce honey for food. The most notable species is the aptly named honey ant. Ants have two stomachs, one for digesting and one for storing food. The honey ant stores nectar harvested from sap-feeding insects, and in times of excess, repletes will one by one gorge themselves on nectar until they're unable to move. Their abdomens swell up until they're simply distended membranes holding many times the ant's weight in honey, giving them their alternate layman's name, honeypot ant. The repletes remain gorged until the hive needs food, and then feed the entire hive with their high energy honey reserves.

Granted, that's kind of gross, but honey made by bees is not any more appetizing.

Remove ads