• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do players want to play a large race?

Li Shenron

Legend
Jakar said:
Is it the D&D equivalent of buing a Ferrari? To make up for...ummm...male personal short-comings?

Hey that might be true :lol: It's always the guys to play large characters, none of the girls in the group has so far asked for a large PC!

GammaPaladin

First Post
Eh, that's more due to the fact that the large+ creatures are all ugly. Girls don't like to play ugly characters, as a rule.

Argh... Note to self: DOn't forget you came to a thread via a google search and then reply to it, forgetting that it's probably years old.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Necroposting.jpg

But it is funny that diaglo forecast 3.75. I was about to look into the pathfinder doc to see if I missed something about rogues sneak attack damage scaling... :eek:

doghead

thotd
general - large characters

Hey, GammaPaladin cast raise thread.

I like playing melee types, and would enjoy playing a large character for some of the reasons mentioned. There is the sheer physicality of the thing. And they can lay out some serious smack-down, especially in Ken Hood's combat system. As a DM, I like throwing larger monsters at the PC's.

I think that there can be interesting role play aspects to playing a larger character. In many settings, a troll, ogre, or giant PC is not going to get the warmest welcome in many places. They will be something of an outsider. I like playing outsiders. Come to think of it, most of my characters are outsiders - a monk from a far away continent, a barbarian from far lands, a female goblin warrior in a male dominated society. Huh, I hadn't really realised that before.

doghead
aka thotd

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
As noted before big creatures in the "dumb but strong" style is in no way original but it can be an awful lot of fun.

Additionaly they can be very useful in the party and the player may like getting the accolades. (especially if he's the only brick in the group)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I play "brick" characters often, in a variety of rpgs in a variety of genres.

Sometimes its about pure damage output & intimidation, sometimes its about what the party needs (see earlier this sentence), sometimes it really is about roleplaying.

I had great fun playing a 2Ed Minotaur Ftr/Mu based on/inspired by the original illustration of the Hurloon Minotaur and Native American Plains tribes lore, esp. legends about the White Buffalo. That he did loads of damage was a side benefit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads