• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why does Belt of Vigor only go to +3?

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Is +3 surge value really a level 22 effect?

Could someone explain the game balance why it isn't a standard every-5-levels item that goes from +1 to +6?

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Is +3 surge value really a level 22 effect?

Could someone explain the game balance why it isn't a standard every-5-levels item that goes from +1 to +6?

It seems a bit weak to me, but for a low-HP character such as a Controller with low Con, in a group with a couple of Leaders, it could make a big difference. The new feat Swift Recovery, which gives +3/+4/+5 surge value, makes it look a bit less attractive, as does Disciple of Stone, which gives +5/+7/+10 THP with every surge spent.

If you need a reason, I'd say it's because it was published in PHB1, which is replete with balance issues.

(LightPhoenix: caribou is another wonderful word)

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
It seems a bit weak to me, but for a low-HP character such as a Controller with low Con, in a group with a couple of Leaders, it could make a big difference. The new feat Swift Recovery, which gives +3/+4/+5 surge value, makes it look a bit less attractive, as does Disciple of Stone, which gives +5/+7/+10 THP with every surge spent.

If you need a reason, I'd say it's because it was published in PHB1, which is replete with balance issues.
All this, exactly.

I'd have +1'd you for this, but alas...

(LightPhoenix: caribou is another wonderful word)

Sure, but at least some of those things stack... +3 is +3. It may or may not be worth burning your waist slot for, but it is still worthwhile and anyone with an empty waist slot by say like level 10 or so might as well spend the pocket change to get one...

Generally non-enhancement items go by +1/+2/+3 tier style increments. Most such items are easily stacked with other stuff, so the bonus is generally adequate. With rarity less common higher bonus versions could exist though.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
It may or may not be worth burning your waist slot for, but it is still worthwhile and anyone with an empty waist slot by say like level 10 or so might as well spend the pocket change to get one...

Sure, no argument there, provided that you have the money and the extra slot, and that your DM isn't getting all huffy about Christmas Trees.

And of course at level 10 you are probably picking up the +1 item, not the +3.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Personally, I hate the Christmas Tree Effect. I guess I'm one of those huffy DMs. This whole Common-Uncommon-Rare fiasco* has shown me a better way (for my group, at least).

I've pretty much decided to always use Inherent Bonuses from here on out. I will still hand out some magical goodies, but now characters won't resemble oversized magical charm bracelets, and when they do find a magic sword or ring, it will feel special, and in fact, it will be special, probably of near- or at artifact level.

If you find a magical sword, it will be a Glamdring. If you get your grubby mitts on a bauble of some kind, it might not be The One Ring, but it will be named and will have history. I mean, this is the way I've always tried to do things, but inherent bonuses frees me from being forced to hand out junk magic all the time just to allow the characters numbers to keep up with expectations.

I came to this conclusion gradually, but not lightly. I know some gamers like dime-a-dozen magic, but my group tends to prefer it the other way. These things should not feel cheap, nor should they be commodities to be bought and sold on the open market in my campaigns. Doing it this way, or rather, continuing to do so after the advent of 4e and all its structured bonuses and expectations Makes Sense, since we're mostly old grognards anyway.

* it should be noted that I do agree with the rarity system, for the most part.

Last edited:

Prestidigitalis

First Post
I will still hand out some magical goodies, but now characters won't resemble oversized magical charm bracelets, and when they do find a magic sword or ring, it will feel special, and in fact, it will be special, probably of near- or at artifact level.

And that's fine -- it's even what I would prefer. But I want to be able to customize my character, and if I can't do it with items, I'd like to have a few extra feats or something. This is especially true with Essentials builds, which give less scope to customization.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I do, too, but I am strongly considering getting rid of the common level and going inherent. Adding a few uncommon or rare items does not bother me much.
One of the things we've been doing (since 2e, actually) is allowing players to buy vanilla +x weapons and armour and treating them as masterwork. They don't register as magic, they can be bought and sold, but they're so amazing, it's like having a magic sword. Sort of like a finely-crafted katana, or a damascus blade.

This way, a wealthy character can relieve some of their excess gold and "buy up" above their inherent bonus.

Such a weapon might become magical, but only after its wielder has accomplished great deeds with it.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
And that's fine -- it's even what I would prefer. But I want to be able to customize my character, and if I can't do it with items, I'd like to have a few extra feats or something. This is especially true with Essentials builds, which give less scope to customization.
That's where the other half of that equation comes in - boons. I'm pretty fair about cooperating with my players for things like that.

Plus, as you say, extra feats. As I posted in another thread, I was toying with the idea of giving out "character feats" every few levels or so, that could be filled only by non-combat feats. That would free up the standard slots for things that affect the numbers while still allowing for character-development fluffy feats.

It's still all basically a theory in my head at this point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads