• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why hasn't D&D done a M:TG Campaign Setting?

zoggynog

First Post
NO.

I am not suggesting this be the new default setting for DnD 5e.

However, it just strikes me odd that Magic: The Gathering is a fantasy world with tons of material, is OWNED by WoTC, and hasn't been turned into something.

Heck, I could even see alt rules for combat via decks...

Not saying it would be everyone's cup of tea, just saying I find it very odd to not see any cross over. Would make an interesting option for a 5e setting.

TwinBahamut

First Post
There are a few different reasons why...

First off, the two different teams for Magic and D&D can't agree on a way to do it. There is also the problem of brand dilution and the question of who such a product would be targeting. Basically, a whole lot of business-related and practical issues are blocking the idea. This is really the big one.

Of course, there is also the issue that the worlds and mechanics of the two games are really rather incompatible. D&D isn't built around the five mana type system at the core of Magic's flavor and mechanics, and even the idea of mana itself in Magic doesn't work well with stuff like Vancian casting or Daily Powers. Also, the questions of who the PCs are supposed to be and the role of Planeswalkers in a D&D game are another big issue. Basically, it has a lot of hurdles to overcome.

There is also the problem that a "Magic in D&D" supplement should theoretically be balanced by a "D&D in Magic" set of cards, but that ship has already sailed. The Zendikar block already did the whole "teams of adventurers exploring ancient ruins, leveling up, and earning treasure" idea in Magic, so there really isn't any room left over for D&D-flavored Magic.

Li Shenron

Legend
I had the pleasure to play M:tG a few times a couple of years ago, and I liked it, but I was not aware that it had a "setting", other than a long series of monsters. Does it have a geography, a history, organizations, relevant NPC?

I really liked their "5 colours" concepts system. I think it would work well in a D&D campaign as an alternative alignment system (in fact I already suggested that this could be quoted as an option in 5e), but I wouldn't use it as factions, meaning that I would not want everyone of the same colour to be automatically on the same "team".

TwinBahamut

First Post
I had the pleasure to play M:tG a few times a couple of years ago, and I liked it, but I was not aware that it had a "setting", other than a long series of monsters. Does it have a geography, a history, organizations, relevant NPC?
It does, in a fashion. The world of Magic used to be the world of Dominaria, but since it has gone on to portray a massive multiverse of interconnected planes, each of which has their own character and concepts. These days, each "block" of three card expansions is built around a new one of these planes (unless they are revisiting an old plane that has undergone a Realms-shattering event equivalent). It even has a big metanarrative going on across these blocks (though it is rather lame). Honestly, the creativity shown in these settings shows that WotC has a massive pool of world-building talent that it is not really devoting to D&D.

I really liked their "5 colours" concepts system. I think it would work well in a D&D campaign as an alternative alignment system (in fact I already suggested that this could be quoted as an option in 5e), but I wouldn't use it as factions, meaning that I would not want everyone of the same colour to be automatically on the same "team".
Things of the same color are not necessarily on the same team, but it is a lot closer to being equivalent to the pre-4E D&D alignment system than anything else. Well, it is what happens when the idea of elements and alignments are perfectly fused and inseparable, more than anything. Red = Fire + Earth + Chaos + Goblin, for example. White = Law + Religion + Good (on occasion) + Steel. Black = Death + More Death + Demons. And so on...

zoggynog

First Post
I hear your points TwinBahamut, and they are all pretty valid.

I guess my hope is this new version of D&D will be VERY modular, and last a loooong time. I could see something like this coming out say five or six years down the road from 5e launch. Giving a new twist on the game. I've seen them revisit blocks of cards in Magic, so the whole "they already did it" thing doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Heck, they keep revisiting Mirriodin.

And yes, as TwinBahamut laid out, there is a LOT of lore for M:TG. Just do a search for novels based on it if you are interested.

SlyDoubt

First Post

It has numerous smaller settings within the larger setting they all reside in. There are an unknown number of different planes that exist which function more or less like planets.

Originally though the game took place on dominaria until they blew dominaria up and then started designing new planes for each base set. Mirrodin, Ravnica, Kamigawa, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Shards of Alara, etc. are all different planes with their own unique flavor, creatures, people, etc.

When I was younger I worked on a 3E mtg style game because I played both quite a lot. I still dabble in magic. It's a brilliant game. Anyone here who has even a passing interest should look up Elder Dragon Highlander or as wotc brands it: Commander.

Incenjucar

Legend
The average Magic fan won't care and many D&D fans will act like a vampire in a garlic processing plant. It would go over about as well as the Planescape-themed card game that came out back in the day.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I also think they are worried about cannibalizing sales. I mean, you don't really want to compete with yourself - I suspect M:TG are big spenders as it is...

Number48

First Post
I think they can use it, but only in such vague ways that the 2 products will still seem totally unrelated. They could do a campaign setting of, say, Alara and I would be interested in looking at it. But other than a physical description and some historical elements, the world of D&D takes place in cities and taverns and dungeons. In other words, in making Alara a D&D setting it isn't as if some of the work is already done. It isn't. Imagine opening the Alara setting book. What races and classes will it add? Where are the prominent cities? What organizations exist? What's the power structure for this kingdom? No idea. None at all. Some of this might be covered in the novels, but I've never read them. So if I pick up the Alara setting book mostly depends on if it is well done, like most any setting. Of course, I do already like the idea of a shattered world to base a game in.

Dire Bare

Legend
The average Magic fan won't care and many D&D fans will act like a vampire in a garlic processing plant. It would go over about as well as the Planescape-themed card game that came out back in the day.

This. The ONLY reason why WotC won't make a Magic setting for D&D or a D&D set for Magic is brand dilution. They outright stated it when 3E launched. Course, that was a long time ago, but I doubt they have changed their minds.

When WotC acquired TSR, one of the first things they considering was releasing a Magic campaign setting for the D&D game. They quickly realized this as a BAD IDEA, and so it will never happen (never say never).

Any of the other "problems" in this thread are easily overcome by a good design team. "Crossing the streams" would only weaken both brands.

Remove ads