• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why hasn't D&D done a M:TG Campaign Setting?

Sammael

Adventurer
More puzzling is why we haven't seen Hasbro publish a good Transformers or GI Joe RPG... since those two brands are all about cross-product licensing.

malkav666

First Post
I play MTG competitively (Standard,EDH and legacy). Its a good game, and has a great profit model for WOTC. But I can honestly say that I would not really want any MTG mechanics in D&D. MTG is based on acquisition of cards and an ever-changing meta game. Imagine if D&D got a new edition every year and you couldn't play a fighter unless you bought packs and packs of class and until you got the damn fighter card. I don't want any random collectibles in my D&D. The minis were a compromise I was willing to make because they were affordable when compared with metal/resin alternatives in both price and my time (for painting them) But RPGs let us all have the same choices to make what we want to make without the gotta catch em all attitude. Sure you have optimizers but in MTG, EVERYONE is an optimizer and the ones who are will to invest more money have better options than those who don't/won't/can't. I won't have that at my RPG table. But it works for magic as MTG is an adversarial game.

But I tell what I would buy. If MTG had a block of expansions (3 sets) based of one of the D&D properties I would be all over it. It could be easily worked into the story of the game due to the nature of the main characters in the narratives (they are called planeswalkers).

So in short if MTG wants to use D&D flavor for a set, I am cool with that. If D&D wants to have a collectible aspect built in to make me spend more money, then I am out. I don't mind CCGs in concept, they can make for an interesting hobby, but I need my table top RPGS to be a different hobby. Because when I sit down to play an RPG, that's what I want to do, I want to roleplay. In a CCG there is no roleplay, just mechanical optimization to win.

love,

malkav

Remove ads