• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I really like D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I haven't encountered that, but then I spend a lot more time on this board than other forums. Is this on RPG.net, or somewhere else? (Or in real life, heaven forbid!)

It hit a head here pretty strongly in the wake of 4e's DMG2 mostly from the old school community here along with some of the more die hard simulationist on the board. See Story Telling vs. Role Playing. See also any thread about meta game resources, results based design, etc. It hasn't been particularly strong here in the last couple years, but I've seen elements of elitist 'no story game mechanics allowed here' attitude in some recent threads about 13th Age, skill challenges and interaction modules. It's been pretty tame though. I'll admit the community has become more accepting of different play styles then it once was.

I might be particularly sensitive here because I believe that if 5e truly means to be a big tent game it needs to support Story Now elements at least on a modular basis and the messages I'm seeing from WotC show a certain lack of understanding. Describing simulationist approaches as narrative and holding up 2e style monster entries as the gold standard seem troublesome.

As mentioned up thread Nisarg and crew are particularly dismissive here, but they're dismissive of pretty much anything that doesn't fit their narrow mold. I find Pundit's 3e saved the community from White Wolf diatribe particularly entertaining.

I've occasionally run into some attitude here in person, mostly at game stores when I lived in Michigan. I've pretty much stopped attending game stores due to the dismissive attitude I received when I asked about ordering some MRQ/Legend books - the owner was a classic RQ guy. Of course I tend to be a fan of games that seem to draw a lot of ire - 4e, NWOD, Legend, Burning Wheel, Exalted (though I find the mechanics atrocious).

Oh well. Not a big deal. I've had more luck converting non-gamers into gamers.

pemerton

Legend
I'd say it's pretty common on theRPGsite. Any game that veers too far from OD&D will often be attacked in this way over there.
OK, makes sense, I've spent very little time on the RPGsite given (as I understand it) part of its raison d'etre is to wage war against the Forge, whereas I find the Forge to be one of the most useful GMing resources around.

It hit a head here pretty strongly in the wake of 4e's DMG2 mostly from the old school community here along with some of the more die hard simulationist on the board.
I guess my memory has probably done some selective editing!

I might be particularly sensitive here because I believe that if 5e truly means to be a big tent game it needs to support Story Now elements at least on a modular basis and the messages I'm seeing from WotC show a certain lack of understanding. Describing simulationist approaches as narrative and holding up 2e style monster entries as the gold standard seem troublesome.
Unsurprisingly I agree with all this.

Oh well. Not a big deal. I've had more luck converting non-gamers into gamers.
There's only one member of my current group whom I introduced to RPGing (he was a Diplomacy and Bridge player before). But he took it for granted from the start that the players as well as the GM would play a role in establishing backstory, the content of the plot, etc. It would be a bit ambitious to infer to the vindication of Ron Edwards et al from a single instance, but I do sometime find discussions of player and GM roles around here a little narrow.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Harlock said:
You're still trying to tell me what my intent was in my post

Well, since this thread has apparently become more about what certain posters think about what other posters post in a sort of recursive ouroboros, rather than about why anyone really likes D&D, consider the thread klunked.

If anyone wants to rave about why they really like D&D, feel free to start a new thread, preferably without presuming that those who don't want to pretend to be a magical gumdrop elf in the same way that you like to pretend to be a magical gumdrop elf are somehow wrong in how they like to pretend to be magical gumdrop elves because the way they like to pretend to be magical gumdrop elves is indicative of some flaw in their character and the way you like to pretend to be a magical gumdrop elf is really very different.

ph_dec_gumdrop.jpg

my magical gumdrop elf is a level 27 candymaster + will haunt your nightmares

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads