• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I really like D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I don't find the 'Not an RPG' argument to be too helpful. At best its a proxy for a more nuanced argument that can result in meaningful conversation and has strong negative connotations. There are better ways to engage each other without using language that is known to incite a negative response for fairly obvious reasons.

I have direct experience with this argument outside of the context of this particular slap fight. It's commonly used as a wedge against nontraditional RPGs like Burning Wheel, FATE, Dogs in the Vineyard, etc. Just like in this debate it serves no real purpose if you actually want to discuss meaningful differences between approaches to gaming.

I guess where we might differ on this issue is that I believe the onus for meaningful conversation is on the one doing the communicating.

I don't find the 'Not an RPG' argument to be too helpful. At best its a proxy for a more nuanced argument that can result in meaningful conversation and has strong negative connotations. There are better ways to engage each other without using language that is known to incite a negative response for fairly obvious reasons.

I have direct experience with this argument outside of the context of this particular slap fight. It's commonly used as a wedge against nontraditional RPGs like Burning Wheel, FATE, Dogs in the Vineyard, etc. Just like in this debate it serves no real purpose if you actually want to discuss meaningful differences between approaches to gaming.

I guess where we might differ on this issue is that I believe the onus for meaningful conversation is on the one doing the communicating.
I didn't make the statement 'not a rpg' nor do I hold that view about 4e. I merely analyzed that statement.

Harlock

First Post
Given that you post was specifically addressed to those who favour 4E, those who count it as their favoured edition, it doesn't actually apply to me. It may be good advice for them, but it does have an issue in ascribing motives, which is always problematic. And it doesn't address other reasons why people might react to comments such as TrippyHippy's - those who do not favour 4E, for instance.

Wow, no motives were ascribed. I put forth a theory and then... well, you read too much into it. Far too much. Seriously, when I say what my intention was and you try to argue those intentions you come off as arguing for the sake of it. I wasn't addressing Trippy Hippy. I wasn't trying to be all inclusive. I was merely showing my support for those who wish to game as they wish. That's a sentiment behind which I can get even if I dislike the aspects they wish to game with.

pemerton

Legend
I don't find the 'Not an RPG' argument to be too helpful. At best its a proxy for a more nuanced argument that can result in meaningful conversation and has strong negative connotations.

<snip>

I have direct experience with this argument outside of the context of this particular slap fight. It's commonly used as a wedge against nontraditional RPGs like Burning Wheel, FATE, Dogs in the Vineyard, etc.
I haven't encountered that, but then I spend a lot more time on this board than other forums. Is this on RPG.net, or somewhere else? (Or in real life, heaven forbid!)

pemerton

Legend
My Dad (now deceased sadly) actually studied under Ayer, and later lectured philosophy at Oxford.
I did all my study in, and now lecture in, Australia. But I'm a big admirer of some of those who were taught (at various stages) by Ayer, particularly Dummett and Honderich.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

I've never heard it used against those. Usually, I've seen it directed at games that spend a lot of time emphasizing manipulating the pieces mechanistically rather than playing the role. Though, I suppose, those games might be accused of emphasizing manipulating the narrative rather than playing the role?

the tangible fact is that at least half of D&D sales are actually Pathfinder sales these days - in the wake of 4e. This fact has never occurred before the release of 4e.
This has been addressed before. That's the result of the combination of the OGL + a new edition. If 2E introduced the OGL, then a big split would have occurred when 3E was released. It's not about 4E, it's about a new edition and the ability of other companies to continue the old one. The possibility did not exist before 4E's release, but trying to say it has something to do with 4E specifically, rather than it being the first new edition under a certain set of circumstances, is untenable.

"New editions are divisive" is not contentious. "4E is far more divisive than any other new edition" is contentious.

You are putting words into my mouth that I haven't said - or even emoted - and extrapolating on a view - 'this isn't a rpg' - to make it into a personal attack.

I didn't make the statement 'not a rpg' nor do I hold that view about 4e. I merely analyzed that statement.
Not word-for-word, no. But you did say:

My feelings on later editions of D&D was that game designers wanted to regress the game back into a clearly defined tactical wargame (and largely ignore 35 Years of RPG evolution in the process). I don't roleplay in order to collect miniatures and play that type of game - not that I have moral issues against 'team work' or the like, but because I get my fun from other things.

You can quibble that you didn't actually say "it's not an RPG", but you did say "it was designed to be a clearly-defined tactical wargame." and that it "regressed" and "ignored 35 years of RPG evolution". Do you understand my confusion?

'Not an RPG' is not a personal attack, because it is not an attack on a person. It's an attack on a game.
Sorry, but you do need to consider the implications of what you say. If you say "This is a game for idiots" you can't then claim "I didn't call you an idiot, I called the game that you play a game for idiots" and expect to be let off.

Wow, no motives were ascribed. I put forth a theory and then... well, you read too much into it.
You did say:

Actually I'd say it's more because your favored edition is the one being spoken of most with the impending change looming. You guys, with what I would consider good reasoning, are defending your favored game as a new one is coming along. You hope by being vocal you can preserve aspects of the game you most admire.

You're telling people not only what they're doing but why they're doing it. If that isn't ascribing motivations, I don't know what is.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider this some big offensive thing you've done here, that you should kneel before me and beg my forgiveness. I just want to be clear and point out there's more than that reason to be having this discussion.

I haven't encountered that, but then I spend a lot more time on this board than other forums. Is this on RPG.net, or somewhere else? (Or in real life, heaven forbid!)
I'd say it's pretty common on theRPGsite. Any game that veers too far from OD&D will often be attacked in this way over there.

Harlock

First Post
You're telling people not only what they're doing but why they're doing it. If that isn't ascribing motivations, I don't know what is.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider this some big offensive thing you've done here, that you should kneel before me and beg my forgiveness. I just want to be clear and point out there's more than that reason to be having this discussion.

Context is everything. I was responding to a specific post... well, specifically with my theory as to why something they perceived as happening may be happening. You're still trying to tell me what my intent was in my post. You're ascribing motivations to me as you accuse me of ascribing motivations! Do you realize how silly that might be perceived? Some might call that arguing for the sake of arguing. Take it from me, you're putting things between the lines in my post that were never there. You should really let this one go.

Context is everything. I was responding to a specific post... well, specifically with my theory as to why something they perceived as happening may be happening.
"This is what I see you doing, and this is why you're doing it." It's the second part that's problematic. That's all.

If it is just a theory, be sure to be really clear on that. Maybe ask why someone it doing that thing, rather than telling them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads