Why is Eberron being pushed so hard?

Frostmarrow said:
It's Wizard's first own setting. Forgotten Realms was handed over to them from TSR. Eberron is what came in place of Dominia (The Magic-setting), which was cancelled.

Dominia wasn't cancelled, so much as it never really got off the ground, because the different departments couldn't get together on it.

Saying Eberron "came in place of" it really isn't accurate, since Dominia as an RPG setting was dead years before the Setting Seach was announced.

I think your overall point has merit, though. This is, indeed, the first setting that the WotC folks can really call their own. I'm sure that has some bearing on their enthusiasm for it, and I don't think that's a bad thing. :)

Last edited:

Wraith Form

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Of course, it might also be because Eberron is better than FR or DL.
I respect your opinion, and I'm not gonna flame away or anything 'cause it's really not that important to me. I'm just confused (unconvinced?) why Eberron is "better".

I have the book, so I'm not just blowin' smoke outta my arse. I've read through it. It's pretty, the binding is hearty and the editing is better than some publisher's (*ahemmongooseahem*), but I don't "get" why it's any better than the old settings.

In some ways, I think it's actually a little goofy--especially the dinosaurs. (To it's credit, I do like the...um...half-doppelganger / half-human race--changeling?) The art is often good. I just don't "get" the point....I don't feel an overwhelming urge to play the setting.

(I got that feeling and/or urge when I cracked open Midnight. Sometimes Mutants & Masterminds. Often Delta Green. ....But not Eberron.)

So what makes it so appealing to those who like it? ("It's shiny and new and I'm a fanboy" is certainly a valid response.)

WizarDru

Adventurer
DarkCrisis said:
Why is Eberron being pushed so hard?
I don't know, but if they don't stop the poor dear is going to get tired. :)

Seriously? It's a concerted marketing push, just like they said it would be when they did the setting search. The same way they initially pushed the realms, but with more of a concerted focus on licensing. New players to D&D will have a single world to consider playing in, all the new materials will be supported in that world, novels will be in that setting.

Greyhawk was the first to do this, but with little focus to speak of. The Realms was the first to really pour it on, and Dragonlance showed how the novels could make the setting. Every setting has folks who like or dislike it.

For those who don't much like Eberron, Greyhawk is well supported in Dungeon, these days, and the realms still gets material. Dragonlance is outsourced, and Planescape is fan supported. There are always options.

I'm just confused (unconvinced?) why Eberron is "better".

Well, my reply was meant mostly to be humerous, really. Hence the lynch joke.

But yes, I do believe Eberron is better. I feel it has more adventure possibilities, and more fun adventures at that. I feel it's more coherently and reasonably put together. I've gotten more adventure inspiration out of the core book than I have every piece of Forgotten Realms material (including fiction) I've read to date. Ditto for Dragonlance.

This despite the fact that Eberron differs in many ways from traditional fantasy, and I'm usually a traditionalist at heart.

I'm not saying Eberron is the be-all and end-all of campaign setting design, but I really do believe it's one of the best things out on the market right now.

Or to put it in more concrete terms... I've been working in the role-playing game industry for almost four years now. Eberron is the first setting that's been published since I started writing where reading a small portion of the corebook was enough to make me decide "Whatever it takes, I must get a job writing for this setting." (I'm not counting books where I was a writer on the core book, since that's obviously a whole different kettle of fish.)

Incidentally, it was never my intention to start an Eberron vs. Greyhawk vs. FR hijack. I'm happy to continue this discussion if people want to, but let's not get too far afield. (I suppose we could start a new thread, if people really felt it worthwhile. Though I don't foresee a pleasant or moderator-free end to such an endeavor. ;))

Wraith Form

Explorer
No, I really did get the sarcasm--I just don't feel all warm and fuzzy about Ebby like you do, and I'm sincerely (hopefully not snide-ly) asking why it's so well liked.

I love everyone. *mm-WAAAAH* No mods needed here. Kisses!

Last edited:

sledged

First Post
DanMcS said:
Now you know how fans of greyhawk (and lots of 2e settings) felt when their favorites were completely dropped in favor of FR for 3e.
Yes, but wasn't Greyhawk dropped for more... spiteful reasons?

edbonny said:
almost all settings got at least one shot to be a video game: ... Greyhawk ...
Really? What was it called?

Frostmarrow said:
It's Wizard's first own setting.
Paradigm said:
They sank a pile of money into it. So they are pushing it.
Two valid reasons if I ever heard any. Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are step children who have grown up and moved out on their own. WotC wants a child they can call they're own, but raising Eberron requires time and money to ensure its survival.

Mystery Man

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Well, my reply was meant mostly to be humerous, really. Hence the lynch joke.

But yes, I do believe Eberron is better. I feel it has more adventure possibilities, and more fun adventures at that. I feel it's more coherently and reasonably put together. I've gotten more adventure inspiration out of the core book than I have every piece of Forgotten Realms material (including fiction) I've read to date. Ditto for Dragonlance.
You've found the setting inspires you and its the best for you. That is awesome. Great! I don't see how or why anyone would lynch you for that. I would actually agree in that there are some things that Eberron handles better than the Realms does. How many settings have they done? Practice make perfect.

It's the setting bashing that gets under my skin. The absolute lack of civility that some pointy headed message board members think they can get away with just because its the internet. Granted its been pretty OK around here lately.

Remove ads