• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is Firestorm the best 19th level control spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxlimn

First Post
Marshall:

The problem with Firestorm is that it gives a leader the ability to, not only, step into the controllers role, but do it better than the controller does at that level or below.

No, it doesn't. If you want to say that this is a problem, then you have to prove that it actually does what you say it does.

AtomicPope:

Area of effect is not the only facet of controllers. As described on page 16 of the PHB they also, "weaken, confuse, and delay" which would include:
Command - Lvl 3 Enc that dazes and either slides the target or knocks it prone.
Searing Light - Lvl 7 Enc causes Blindness.

By win I assume you mean controlling? D&D isn't a game that can be "won." That fact hasn't changed since its inception. Since you brought up Lvl 7 Enc powers it's important to point out that Wizards don't get access to Blindness powers until 13th level, six levels after Clerics.

Area of effect damage and status effects are not the only facet of controllers, but it is rather important. Single target debuffs are really the purview of Strikers. The Rogue and Warlock lists are chock-full of single-target debuffs - presumably because that's what a Striker is supposed to be doing.

Searing Light does blindness to 1 target. Good for the level. Prismatic Burst does blindness to an area - a range of targets. That's multi-target action denial. We can't possibly argue that Searing Light is a generally better power, which is why it's lower level, but of the two, Prismatic Burst is the controller power.

I didn't just bring up level 7 Encounter powers. I'm bringing up whole-character performance. You can't say that Wizards are better strikers just because Disintegrate happens to be competitive with Rogue damage powers of the level. Likewise, you can't say that Clerics do good AoE control just because a daily power or two happens to fall near Wizard-level effectiveness.

It just doesn't work that way. It's a myopic and mistaken way to assess class relationships.

Flame Strike is a decent Daily power for AoE damage, but if you're looking for damage, Wall of Fire is a better resuable damage zone that Wizards, Warlords, and Rogues can exploit over and over, and Ice Storm is comparable, immobilizes enemies, and THEN creates a zone of difficult terrain for the duration of the encounter. Flame Strike does decent damage, but it's just not on the same level, and the rest of the Cleric's control suite at that level just isn't going to cut the mustard.

He can contribute in other ways, but can't act like a Wizard can.

Paging Mongolia Jones:

I think we better get on with that comparison. I'm willing to concede every assertion you have on Bolstering Blood. I will use it only as you dictate its use. Good enough?

Mongolia Jones

First Post
Goumindong erroneously quoted Mongolia:

Lies, damn lies, and statistics <- [I never said that]

Goumindong then proceeds to beat on Mongolia with a vengeance (post #268)

The instant you quote me saying the exact same thing as what I am talking about and then say it means something else is the instant where it becomes clear that you are not interested in having a meaningful debate on the issue at hand.

You just quoted me saying the exact same thing, literally the exact same thing and claiming they mean different things. You quoted me correcting Roxlimn in how he tallied the damage from bolstering blood and then said that that quote agreed with Roxlimn.

Go back to COAD, it suits you well.

Goumindong:

My last relevant post to you is post #263, I never posted anything you quoted in #268

It's funny you mention COAD, an EvE-Online forum. It is people like you who post there day in and day out... or should I say "poasts" as thats the standard terminology of your Goonswarm buddies. You are still part of Goonswarm, yes?

Goonswarm members have also stated in the past that they intend to destroy EvE-Online. I think you should take a long hard look at the kind of company you associate with.

If anyone does a search on EvE-Online forums in general, they will find a high level of animosity towards Goumindong, and a high level of respect towards Mongolia Jones.

*Mongolia wonders why that is*

And don't even get me started on SomethingAwful.com forums, a cesspool and the wretched birthplace of Goonswarm spawn.

BOLSTERING BLOOD IS NOT A POWER IT IS A CLASS FEATURE. GOOD LORD HOW HARD IS THIS TO COMPHREHND?

No need to shout, we already "comphrehnd" this... :p

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
You'd think it would be possible to step away from a thread for a few days without it collapsing into a train wreck, but here we are.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads