Why is the Mule considered a Game Breaker?

Zaran

Adventurer
Yeah , I felt it helped the satire if I added to the 4 year old thread instead of starting a new one. It does make me very happy that the new edition is more than just a dungeon delve game and includes little things like the Mule.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I can't figure out whether this thread is a joke or not. Being such a long, multi-paged thread, it obviously has some meaning to many...

I didn't read the thread since it's so long, but how could a mule have the possibility of breaking the game? It makes no sense. It's just a mount for equipment, versus any other kind of mount or other means of moving equipment while traveling, which I've never seen abused. Based on some of the responses upon a quick passing putting laser guns on a mule for a fantasy game is so wahoo, its simply silly. Would anyone actually want such a bizarre inclusion for use with a mule? Would any non-wahoo GM even allow such to included in their game?

I remember a party with a mule in some game long ago. It was only used to move equipment, and in reality got eaten by some monster before it ever had any kind of impact for that game it was used. Its just a mule.

This entire thread seems incredibly silly, yet being so long, I can't wrap my head around the idea that there's something broken about a simple mount.

Zaran

Adventurer
I basically implied that the Mule was not in the 4e game because it made characters too powerful like hour long buffs, wish spells, and 10 foot poles.
It was a satirical protest about how anything that didn't relate to combat was removed from the game and left for the GM to deal with. People would say "Why are whining about the mule? Just use the stats for a horse!" Which that's fine for combat but paying 75 gold for a mule is ridiculous. =)

Personally I thought 4e was a good game system. It just needed more tools for world building. In my opinion, we didn't really need a new edition but now that we have one I for one am happy that it is more rounded with the mule.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
OK, satire for an isolated point regarding 4e, I can accept that, but a satirical thread that's 14 pages long, that's another head-wrapping conundrum...?

I never played 4e, but have no problem with anyone who does or the game itself. Really the developers might not think of every nuance from every previous edition, but for a GM to ad-hoc include a mule seems like nothing at all, and I don't get why its even worth a conversation for such an insignificant piece of equipment or animal. Its a slight curiosity and little more.

It seems Pathfinder umbrellas mules as a "pack animal" without offering stats for one, but hardly worth mentioning, let alone being satirical about it.

I get the gist of the thread, just not the 14 pages of enthusiasm over it...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Now we have a surefire method to end all edition wars; all you need to do is ask "Does this edition have a mule? No?"
2hand.gif

Remove ads