• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why isn't every 9th level wizard rich?

Rothe

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
I think a better (simpler) solution is to remove the Permanent duration.

Caveat Emptor, especially when buying from wizards.

Here, here. This is the number one and likely first fix to make economics in a D&D world have any sort of consitancy with game mechanics.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Rothe said:
Here, here. This is the number one and likely first fix to make economics in a D&D world have any sort of consitancy with game mechanics.
I wouldn't do it, because I have a non-nerf solution, and it nerfing that spell wouldn't be fair to the PC. Plus I prefer to reward creativity than nerf it.

Derren

Hero
Did anyone of you get the idea that instead of nerfing spells to make a medival economy work (in that case nerf mosnters etc. too) you can instead create a new economy which works with the D&D rules?

Wizards can create iron out of thin air? Fine. Iron is nearly worthless and only mined by countries who don't want to be wizard dependent. What most people mine for is mithril and other higher quality metal which wizards can't create. And there would be a huge spell component market as wizards tend to require many exotic things to make their spells work.

Phlebas

First Post
Derren said:
Wizards can create iron out of thin air? Fine. Iron is nearly worthless and only mined by countries who don't want to be wizard dependent. What most people mine for is mithril and other higher quality metal which wizards can't create. And there would be a huge spell component market as wizards tend to require many exotic things to make their spells work.

Hmm. I think you've just come up with a major plot element of my next campaign here - thanks...

robertliguori

First Post
Derren said:
Did anyone of you get the idea that instead of nerfing spells to make a medival economy work (in that case nerf mosnters etc. too) you can instead create a new economy which works with the D&D rules?

This makes sense, yes, but it's flatly contradicted by the rules, which state that raw iron is a trade good akin to gold or silver, and can be exchanged as easily as other precious metals.

Given that the economy of D&D is defined, and not emergent, it does make more sense from a fix-the-problem perspective to change the instantaneous conjuration spells to instead be dispellable, or something similar.

Eidalac

Explorer
Something else about iron - iron, in most D&D settings, isn't all that useful by itself, you have to make steel out of it to create the products people want to buy.

So, no matter how much iron you have, it's only as useful as your capacity to smelt it into steel.

Also, you may just want to say that spells like wall of iron only produce low-quality iron that isn't of much use to smelt.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
robertliguori said:
This makes sense, yes, but it's flatly contradicted by the rules, which state that raw iron is a trade good akin to gold or silver, and can be exchanged as easily as other precious metals.

When common sense and the rules collide, common sense must prevail.

shilsen

Adventurer
WayneLigon said:
When common sense and the rules collide, common sense must prevail.
When you look carefully at common sense, you discover that it's not really common and often not that sensible.

boolean

Explorer
Derren said:
It depends on how much work I want to put into making the change. Nerfing the spell has the advantage of being much simpler, with fewer follow-on effects to be considered.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Derren said:
Please let me know where I can download your new economic rules.

Thanks, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads