Why no adventure paths?

Ari? Why aren't you writing one?

Augh! Pressure!! :eek:

;)

Okay, a little more seriously...

1) I did contribute to the Scales of War AP. I know some people weren't happy about how it started, but I think it's been ramping up pretty nicely.

2) I've actually been talking with another author about submitting some linked adventures--a trilogy or so--to Dungeon, but we're not really there yet.

3) It's temporarily a moot point for me, since I'm hip-deep in a novel at the moment and don't really even have time to be making this post. ;)

Rechan

Adventurer
There's WotC's Scales of War, plus the H/P/E series.
Both of which are OK at best; SoW is getting better, but still. Not to mention that SoW is only available to DDi subscribers.

WotBS isn't out.

So that leaves the two Goodman ones.

Of what's out, I don't hear a lot of praise singing over it filling the niche.

Arnwyn

First Post
Both of which are OK at best; SoW is getting better, but still. Not to mention that SoW is only available to DDi subscribers.

WotBS isn't out.

So that leaves the two Goodman ones.

Of what's out, I don't hear a lot of praise singing over it filling the niche.
Ah.

I was just answering the question in the context of the OP:
Rechan said:
Why no adventure paths?

Aside from the WotC modules and the Scales of War (which are okay at best), there exists no real adventure paths in 4e.

Why?
I didn't realize there was additional criteria.

Stormtalon

First Post
I'd LOVE to do an adventure path -- heck, I've got a 30-level outline written down and have started in on it. Alas, real life, work and the realization that I sorta *suck* at the artistic side have currently put a crimp in my plans. I can drawn functional maps on graph paper, but translating to electronic/full-color format -- that's sorta beyond me, sad to say.

Add to that the fact that I am probably going to have to kitbash nearly every epic-tier monster in it, my brain has started to crack under the (at least somewhat imagined) load....

Plus I want my creation to be something playable over a VTT as well, so that's added artwork.

alleynbard

First Post
Linked scenarios, isn't Goodman doing that sort of thing?

The Punjar series looks like that, for instance.

As is the "Mountain King" series. In fact, Goodman Games is calling it the Mountain King AP.

Dungeon Crawl Classics

I had just noticed they designated both sets of adventures (Punjar and Mountain King) as separate APs right before I opened this thread. I have been interested in them from day one but knowing they are linked in such a way makes them even more intriguing to me. I guess I didn't realize they were going to be more than just a few linked adventures.

I think they shifted from "possible buys" to "must buys".

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Some people cite the GSL as a problem, but really, it's not. GG publishes all their adventures under the OGL, and I do not see why you couldn't do an AP under the OGL.

The single biggest problem with an AP, is that IMO, the average quality of 3PP products for 4e is rather low.

Goodman Games produce good-great stuff and could pull off an AP. OBE produce awesome stuff but I doubt they have the ressources/manpower etc to make an AP, even if they wanted. I remain hopeful for EN Publishing but am still sceptical. Aside from those 3, I have yet to see products from a 3PP that makes me think they could do it, even if we do not factor in size and money.

FireLance

Legend
While a full-scale 30-level adventure path is a lot of work, I wonder whether taking it one tier at a time would be more manageable? A "heroic path" taking the PC from 1st to 10th level as a series of linked adventures or a single mega-module, for example.

Rechan

Adventurer
While a full-scale 30-level adventure path is a lot of work, I wonder whether taking it one tier at a time would be more manageable? A "heroic path" taking the PC from 1st to 10th level as a series of linked adventures or a single mega-module, for example.
I was thinking about similar. Planning per tier is rather easy (or at least, easier). Each tier has their own feel, too, so the AP could be focused on bringing out that feel.

I imagine a method similar to Wulfgang's could be done to handle it, too. The planning at least.

mevers

First Post
What I would love is for a company to do something similar to Wolfgang's Open design, but specifically for 4th edition and specifically and adventure path, starting at level 1 and going all the way to level 30.

This way each module is funded before it begins, and if support dries up, patrons have no one else to blame but themselves.

I would be all over something like that, and I would think the patronage model reduces much of the financial risk?

Remove ads