Why no wands of Haste

marune

First Post
My rogue player (with UMD) asked me why there is no Wand of Haste in the DMG.

It is because of a flavor/balance criteria or a more objective one ?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I find the lack of Wands of Scorching Ray to be greatly disappointing myself. In the RPGA you can't buy wands that aren't on the DMG list unless you can craft them yourself.

ken-ichi

First Post
You don't see wands of haste in the treasure tables because there are concrete defined rules for what spells can be put into wand, potion, and scroll form and to make random magic item treasure tables to include every possible spell in each type of item (especially at different power levels for some like scorching ray) would take up quite a bit of space.
I think WOTC should post revised random treasure tables that include items from all the other books like the complete series and have a comprehensive list of valid wands, potions, etc...
I like alot of the items introduced in other books, but I would like to be able to ramdomly determine if said item is available for purchase or to ramdomly generate it in a treasure.

frankthedm

First Post
Caliban said:
I find the lack of Wands of Scorching Ray to be greatly disappointing myself. In the RPGA you can't buy wands that aren't on the DMG list unless you can craft them yourself.
Is the RPGA even worth the trouble? I picture it as a melting pot of friendless gamers, rules whores, spineless DMs & number crunchers. Hopefully i am wrong, but it feels like a lot of the more silly crud stems from there.

back to the OP

The Table is just sample wands. The price formula applies to all wands. Only animate dead has any issues with wands [value of components varies based on what you cast it on, which with a wand, is already supposed to be paid for]

Haste is a VERY strong spell. Always has been. It deserves a drawback, but WOTC's D&D shys away from those.

Did the rogue player ask about getting the wand, or was he just going through the DMG like a shopping list?

I recommend letting him by a 5 to 10 charge wand at a discount rate. If that does not send things out of whack in game, then let him buy the normal ones.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
frankthedm said:
Is the RPGA even worth the trouble? I picture it as a melting pot of friendless gamers, rules whores, spineless DMs & number crunchers. Hopefully i am wrong, but it feels like a lot of the more silly crud stems from there.

Since I've been playing it for the last 5 years, I would have to say that my experience does not quite match that. Maybe I'm a friendless gamer, rules whore, and a number cruncher and just haven't noticed it.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
frankthedm said:
so how much 'not quite' cover? 1% 5% 10%?

Sorry, not particularly interested in continuing a discussion that starts by making insulting generalizations of my main hobby for the last 5 years. Maybe some other time.

frankthedm

First Post
If you say i am dead wrongabout the RPGA, then I am pleased. My mental pictures are never pleasant and i don'tmind having them repainted.

I just feared it was the where things like the buckets of snails and worse hailed from.

Len

Prodigal Member
frankthedm said:
I just feared it was the where things like the buckets of snails and worse hailed from.
I thought the bucket of snails came from here. :uhoh:

(Or from the WotC boards. I'd be amazed if anyone has actually used it in play.)

Remove ads