• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why simpler - much simpler - is better

Why no mention of Monster of the Week? I have seen several claims that it the best implementation of the AW Engine.

Because that's the opposite of my experience although I'm aware that there are those who like it. There are some ... interesting ... genre assumptions built into MoTW (most notably the luck mechanic), the Investigate a Mystery move really doesn't ring true for me (it needs splitting), and I'm generally not as impressed with it as with other AW engine games. Also because, as the person that wrote just about all the AW engine Wikipedia entries I wasn't even close to being able to establish notability for MotW but could for AW, DW, and Monsterhearts, and Tremulus is close (one more source that isn't a blog or rpg.net...)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One aspect of cost that Janx didn't really cover is that it is perfectly possible to play RPGs as cheaply as Dethklok hikes or accesses computers.

I'm a "librarian" in the hobby- I routinely buy multiple copies of key RPG books expected to see heavy play in my groups. This is partly selfish (minimizes the likelihood that someone will borrow the one I'm using), partly practical (saves wear & tear, sometimes people forget their books), and partly generous (people don't need to invest in the hobby to participate).

I ALSO donate RPGs- and dice- to charities for active duty service personnel here & abroad.

And some of our actual libraries carry D&D and other major RPGs in their collections.

herrozerro

First Post
Numenera is one of the more impressive rules-light systems I've seen in quite a while.

So true. While I have not a huge variety of games I have noticed my trend in gamelove is towards the simpler, I started in D&D 3rd, Then 4th was my favorite, then Savage worlds tickled my fancy and finally I am drooling over numenera.

Though each still holds a special place for me. 4e still has the great tactical depth and customization that I love. Savage worlds has one of the best price points and is pretty fast. and Numenera is just pretty, and awesome. Pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
One aspect of cost that Janx didn't really cover is that it is perfectly possible to play RPGs as cheaply as Dethklok hikes or accesses computers.

I'm a "librarian" in the hobby- I routinely buy multiple copies of key RPG books expected to see heavy play in my groups. This is partly selfish (minimizes the likelihood that someone will borrow the one I'm using), partly practical (saves wear & tear, sometimes people forget their books), and partly generous (people don't need to invest in the hobby to participate).

I ALSO donate RPGs- and dice- to charities for active duty service personnel here & abroad.

And some of our actual libraries carry D&D and other major RPGs in their collections.

You bet. Those are gifts. Which are basically exceptions. Not everybody is entitled to receive those free benefits.

There are groups that only buy one copy of the rules, and they share those books.

I don't quite think that's the norm though. More often, I see cases where everybody has the books THEY need, and it's just the group mooch who borrows.

In any event. More people probably pay money to play D&D than people can avoid paying money to play D&D.

To me, the money angle is whining. There are better things to discuss. The "What if a potential player doesn't have any money, so he can't afford to play...." avenue crosses my threshold of "that guy ain't got his feces coagulated so I sure as heck don't want his drama dragging down our group" which has more to do with all crazy problems a guy like that has than his economic status. It's true for bands, work, gaming, just about everything except charities and places equipped to deal with that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's play nice...

It is anecdotally true that for some number of people, gaming as a hobby may be inordinately expensive, but statistically speaking, it is a fairly inexpensive hobby.

Janx

Hero
It's anecdotally true that complaining about the cost comes across to him as whiny?

No, it's just plain true.

My opinion is subjective.

But it is a objective fact that my opinion is that people who complain about the cost of gaming are being whiny in most cases.

My opinion is formed through observation of forums like this. Barring getting stuff for free, playing D&D costs about $40 for a player ($30 PH + dice and taxes), and about $100 for a GM (DMG, PH, MM and dice). The fact that some people might get a bargain through sharing, sales, etc is just exceptions.

Similarly, it cost $200-$400 for a game console, plus about $60 for a new game.

These are the prices of admission.

Compared to other hobbies, that's pretty cheap.

Yet despite that, I see some people complaining that the products cost too much. Usually from students, or people who've blown more money on other things, yet are horrified that a skin pack for Minecraft 360 costs a dollar.

My position is this. Poor people should be spending their scarce resources on food and situational improvement. Having been one, I know. They don't have a right to an Xbox 360, and worse, if they have one because they bought it, being the majority cost in the matter, they have no legitimate argument that the games also cost money, when they could have bought even cheaper entertainment as a whole.

Additionally, anybody who is in such poor financial straights that they can't afford rent or basic equipment, yet they are still attempting to be in a band, or join an RPG group doesn't have their priorities straight, and likely will bring unending drama to the group. Do not hire the drummer who always needs a couch to crash on in your band.

That doesn't mean you can't have "poor" people in your group. But by gods be wary of anybody who's so struggling to pay for a $20 game that they feel that's an outrageous price to pay what everybody else paid. They ain't got their wallet straight. They ain't got their priorities straight if they are trying to engage a hobby that costs money without budgeting for it and being prepared to handle the costs without sacrificing the fundamentals.

Hence what struck me as irritating with the OP. He's got a free ride, he's living very frugally. Nothing wrong with that by itself. But to then have the audacity to expect that gaming should be free (by virtue of his complaint about the costs) is disrespectful to the opportunity he has that other people just plain don't. The costs of gaming pale to the cost of a university education that everybody else had to pay for.

Janx

Hero
Let's play nice...

It is anecdotally true that for some number of people, gaming as a hobby may be inordinately expensive, but statistically speaking, it is a fairly inexpensive hobby.

I think it was unclear as to what you were objecting to or pointing out, when Hobo replied.

I think we all 3 agree on "it is a fairly inexpensive hobby"

I simply have the addendum of ",so shut up about the price already, especially if I catch you with hundreds of dollars of other hobby expenses..."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads