• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the RPG hobby is an awesome one

Asmor

First Post
The fanboard for LOST was like that for a while... The actors and writers would regularily show up and post and answer questions. I don't know what it's like anymore though.

That's funny, when I was trying to come up with an example of other fandoms which aren't so nice, my first thought was to use Lost (not because it's not nice, but just because it seemed like the sort of fandom which probably didn't get much direct personal contact with the stars), but I didn't actually know any of their names, so I searched for something else where I did know someone's name. :D

Hellcow

Adventurer
Why is Keith Baker an evil corporate overlord? He's a freelancer.
I was wondering this myself. Eberron was certainly a lucky break for me, but looking at my life as a whole, I think I've got more in common with Ari than with The Rouse.

(Although this might be another case of people getting me mixed up with RICH Baker. I don't now that I'd call Rich an evil overlord, but he is at least full-time WotC employee...)

With that said, I completely agree with the OP. I still have the GenCon program Gary Gygax signed for me back when I was 12 years old, and what I love about GenCon is the chance to get to meet both people who have inspired me and people who have enjoyed the things I've created. Last year I spent Saturday evening at GenCon sitting in a hotel lobby and talking with anyone who felt like hanging out, and I'm planning to do it again this year. I hope I'll see some of you there!

Asmor

First Post
Sorry Hellcow, that'll teach me to do research before running my mouth... lol. I always assumed you worked for WotC.

Mercule

Adventurer
I, for one, welcome our new infernal bovine overlord!
Moo!

But, also, case in point. Keith is a bit of a celebrity, as he's the creator of one of the two primary D&D settings. Yet, he popped into this thread and talked like a fan.

(Personally, I think he's a double agent serving the Evil Empire.) ;)

The RPG industry is an industry, like any other, make no mistakes, but it's a closely-knit one that really does feel like a community

You see that in the essays written for Hobby Games: The 100 Best. The designers who participated in the book were happy to have the opportunity to share their enthusiasm for a game--one they did not work on, one not made by the company that employs them. It's all about spreading the word in the community about games they feel you should try.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Remove ads