• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WiFi set up for an apt building.

physics_ninja

First Post
I live in a small (16 unit) building and my landlord is thinking of installing wifi as a thanks to everyone. But he wants to know how much it will cost to A) install and B) monthly.

The complex is 2 stories and about 112 feet by 45 feet (studio apartments).

Any estimates?

ssampier

First Post
That's a difficult question because are there are too many variables.

The simple is to sign up for always-on Internet like DSL or cable, install a linksys router and have it.

This costs approximately $40-$50 a month and between $30-$50 for the wireless router.

This solution will not be secure and one person can easily hog all of the bandwidth. Second you will likely have deadspots where wireless is spotty or nonexistent.

LightPhoenix

First Post
A lot of it depends on where you live as well. That will affect possible ISPs, all of whom may have different plans. Another thing to keep in mind is bandwidth caps; if they exist, often you got charged quite a bit if you go over them, if you don't get your account shut down.

Installation is a pretty vague thing. I'm not an IT guy, so I can't go into any specifics. The crux of it though is determining how comprehensive the coverage area will be.

Your landlord would do best to speak to the ISP provider (or several providers) for information regarding pricing and installation.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
He might have to install some signal boosters by the way. I don't think a simple Linksys will reach the entire complex without signal degradation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads