• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild Shape and Equipment

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, fellow druids!

What (magical) equipment do your DMs allow your druid in wild shape to function?

What official references may I consult? Is there any set rule about what magical equipment a druid may use in wild shape?

Are rings OK? Are capes, belts, bracers, amulets, peripats, etc. OK? I know that armor is not OK because there is an armor special ability (wild) that allows a druid to get the armor bonus from her armor while wild shaping.

Thanx for your input.

Kind regards

Thanee

First Post
Wasn't there some FAQ/RotG article about that?

I also remember seeing item slots for animals somewhere. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Scharlata

First Post
Thanee said:
Wasn't there some FAQ/RotG article about that?

I also remember seeing item slots for animals somewhere. ;)

Remembering something like that, but not where to find it.... :eek:

Thanx for the "similar thread" pointer.

mikebr99

Explorer
RotG Wild Life said:
Animal Item Slots

Although it's easy to imagine an animal benefiting from magic equipment beyond a simple saddle and a suit of barding, fitting a mount's physiology to the list of item slots available to characters is not an easy task. Try the following variant list of item slots for quadruped animals (and other monsters when appropriate).

One skull cap or helm
One pair of lenses or goggles
One collar
One saddle blanket or vest
One saddle or jacket
One belt or strap worn in front of or over the haunches
One pectoral or harness worn over the chest or shoulders
One pair foreleg bracers
One pair of foreleg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts
Two rings -- creatures with toes wear rings on the toes and creatures with hooves wear "rings" just above fore hooves
One pair of hind leg shoes or mitts -- hoofed creatures wear shoes and creatures with paws wear mitts
Magic items re-size... except armour and weapons. So, items in humanoid slots should re-size to the above.

Mike

nak9788

First Post
The Shifter class (Masters of the Wild) gained the ability to not meld with its equipment. Also, it stated that its equipment changed to match its new form. Of course, this ability was done away with when they re-wrote the class into the Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer).

As a house rule, we kept that ability and allowed the Master of Many Forms to gain it as well. It makes more sense since they can change into Humaniods. (What would be the point of changing into a naked Orc).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
nak9788 said:
The Shifter class (Masters of the Wild) gained the ability to not meld with its equipment. Also, it stated that its equipment changed to match its new form. Of course, this ability was done away with when they re-wrote the class into the Master of Many Forms (Complete Adventurer).

As a house rule, we kept that ability and allowed the Master of Many Forms to gain it as well. It makes more sense since they can change into Humaniods. (What would be the point of changing into a naked Orc).

If I recall correctly, equipment only melds into the new form if it cannot use this. So an orc still has the armor.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
mikebr99 said:
Magic items re-size... except armour and weapons. So, items in humanoid slots should re-size to the above.
Magic items resize, they do not reshape. A magical vest is not going to change into a magical saddle blanket. Thus, it melds. An amulet will not change shape into a magical collar. Thus, it melds.

In 3.0 you could attach an amulet to a Wilding Clasp, to allow it to continue to function, even though melded. Other items become non-functional.

Lord Pendragon said:
Magic items resize, they do not reshape. A magical vest is not going to change into a magical saddle blanket. Thus, it melds. An amulet will not change shape into a magical collar. Thus, it melds.

I disagree on both counts.

A magical vest doesn't need to become a saddle blanket. It needs to become a wolf-sized (or lion-sized, or whatever) vest. Haven't you see dogs wearing costumes, before?

Similarly, the amulet doesn't even need to change at all. It's presumably hanging on a necklace, which can shrink or grow to fit anything from a dragon to a troll to a pixie. It'll fit a dog just as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads