• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wildshape and attacks

Morose

First Post
Ok, I know this has been addressed already on these boards, but I can't find it. So, here's my question:

When Wildshaped into a Bear as an 8th level druid, what are your options for attacking? Do you:

A) Get the attack modes of the creature (i.e. 2 claws at full BAB, and 1 bite at -5)

B) Get only the primary attack mode (2 claws at full BAB).

C) Get to use whichever attack mode you want, but use it just like you would use a normal weapon (i.e. using 1 claw or 1 bite, but iterative attacks... in this case 1 attack at full, and then a second attack at -5).

D) A choice among the above options

E) Something else entirely

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. I *believe* this was addressed in a Sage Advice column, but can't find that either. :(

Wee Jas

First Post
Get the attack modes of the creature (i.e. 2 claws at YOUR BAB, and 1 bite at -5)

so lets say your BAB was +8/+3

You would get

claw (+8+str)
claw (+8+str)
bite (+8+str-5)

Ignore the extra attack granted by you BAB

According to Wotc's site (subset of MotW, don't have link @ work) the druid in bear form will get 3 attacks: 2 claws and 1 bite.

Those atacks would be at druid's BAB + bear strength + bear feats (but not the druid's feats) for the claws and BAB + bear strength + bear feats -5 for the bite.

Any special tricks an animal has (rake, improved grapple, pounce, swallow, etc), the druid has. However any "natural form" feats the druid has (weapon finesse/focus, power attack, etc) are unavailable. I believe this also applies to class features like evasion & monkish attacks because those are "muscle memory" trained into the base form while the druid relies on the muscle memory inherent in a typical creature.

Wee Jas

First Post
feats the druid has (weapon finesse/focus, power attack, etc) are unavailable.

Wow. First I heard of that. Got a link to that WoTC page?

Too bad for druids.. seems kind of a sucky thing to do to them

Morose

First Post
The loss of your standard feats seems odd. So... feats such as Multi-attack and Multi-Dexterity are pointless then unless your natural form has multiple arms? Kind of surprising. I thought the point of those feats was to give shapechanging folks an advantage over the vanillla variant of whatever they changed into.

Edit: Note- this would also be strange considering you DO retain any extraordinary or spell-like abilities of your natural form. I think you might be mistaken about losing your natural feats.

Last edited:

Dwarmaj

First Post
There is no mention in MotW of a Druid loosing their feats in wild shape, actually what would be the point in taking Multi-attack is you loose it when you shape shift?

From MotW:
The druid also retains her own type, extraordinary abilities, and spell-like abilities, but not her supernatural abilities.

shilsen

Adventurer
Dwarmaj said:
There is no mention in MotW of a Druid loosing their feats in wild shape, actually what would be the point in taking Multi-attack is you loose it when you shape shift?

That's how I see it. Unfortunately, the Wild Shape description in MotW does not mention either losing or retaining one's original feats. IMC, you do retain the feats, as long as the wildshaped form still has the prerequisites for them.

Remove ads