Wildwood Red in Tooth and Claw [OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Kularian said:
I've got tenative plans for a Aasimar Paladin/Ranger, should you still be looking for players. Let me know the next time you're on, and I'll start on it if need be.

Go for it.

dog45

First Post
I made a character using the 32pt buy Gestalt option. Everything is from the PHB, except for 2 flaws from Unearthed Arcana.

[sblock]

Firblain the headsplitter

Dwarf Barbarian//Ranger
Chaotic Neutral

STR 16 +3
DEX 12 +1
CON 18 +4
INT 10
WIS 12 +1
CHA 08 -1

BAB +1
F/R/W (base) 2/2/0

HP 19 (d12 + con + feat)

Skills

Climb +6 (4 ranks + 3 str - 1 armor)
Heal +5 (4 ranks +1 wis)
Knowledge Nature +4 (4 ranks)
Jump +6 (4 ranks + 3 str -1 armor)
Listen +3 (2 ranks + 1 wis)
Survival +5 (4 ranks + 1 wis)
Speak Language (Dover, Common)

Languages
Common
Dwarven
Dover

Feats

1 Toughness

Class Abilities

Fast Movement +10ft
Rage 1/day
Track
Favored Enemy: Goblins

Gear

Greataxe +4 atk / 1d12 +4 dmg (2 handed)
Dwarven Waraxe +4 atk / 1d10 +3 dmg (1 handed w/ Shield)

Studded Leather Armor (AC 16)
Heavy Wooden Shield (AC 18)

Rations
Flint/Steel
50ft Rope

[/sblock]

Character Background

[sblock]

Firblain was never looking for a fight, but fights always seem to find him. Even when he was
just a grau hiding under his mothers apron, the family dogs would nip and bite at him.
When the clan bully had a bad day, it was always Firblain that he ran into. He didn't fight
back though. Not in the beginning. When he'd come home and his father'd ask him where the
bruises came from, he lied and said he tripped. He could tell that his father didn't believe
him, but he allowed his son to keep his story. What good is a boy that you have to force to
fight for himself?

Growing up with the resentment of his father, and the attentions of the bullies, his one
refuge was his mother. Without questioning him, she cared for and patched him up when he came home bruised and bleeding. Without a word, she showed him her love for him.

When the news came, he was in the mines. The workers grabbed picks and axes and ran back towards the settled caverns. It had not been a battle; it was a slaughter. Bodies of women and children lay hacked apart, viciously torn asunder by small hands with small weapons. The cavern was filled with the shouts of pain and the cries of anguish as families were reunited.

Firblain found her by the children. She had tried to protect them. Sinking down to the ground, he cradled his mother in his arms. Silent tears flowed down his cheeks. Placing her down, he gently laid her cloak over her. Turning aside, he went into his house. Grabbing his fathers waraxe from above the mantle, he left the empty house and ran to join his fellow workers.

At the first sight of the goblins, the years of repressed anger was released into the
creatures skull, shattering it. A righteous fury overtook him, and he slew all that he could
find.

Years pass.

After that battle, he could never let a challenge go unanswered. The bullies learned quick,
and the news spread faster of this dwarve that could survive any fight. The day he quit the
mines to go out on his own, his father presented him the same waraxe. Without a word, he took it and left.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kularian

First Post
Eh, well, after seeing that there was a knight/cleric gestalt, the idea of a paladin kinda turned me off, so I changed my concept somewhat. Lemme know what you think:

Code:
[b]Victor von Blacke[/b]
Tiefling - Medium Humanoid
Ranger 1

Str 16 (+3)
Dex 20 (+5)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 10 (0)
Cha 10 (0)

Mov: 30'
Init: +5
BaB: +1
HP: 12
AC: 22 (+2 armor, +2 shield, +5 dex, +2 ref, +1 dodge)
Fort: +4
Ref: +7
Will: +0

Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d8+3), Shortbow +6 ranged (1d6, 60ft), 
Spiked Large Wooden Shield +4 melee (1d6+1)
Grapple: +4
Feats: Dodge, Track
Special Abilities: Favored Enemy: Outsider [evil], Wild Empathy, 
Darkvision 60ft, Darkness 1/day
Special Qualities: Resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5

Skills:
Appraise (0) +1
Balance (0) +5
Bluff (0) +2 (+2 racial)
Climb (2) +5
Concentration (0) +2
Craft (Bowyer) (3) +4
Diplomacy (0) +0
Disguise (2) +2
Escape Artist (2) +7
Forgery (0) +1
Gather Information (0) +0
Handle Animal (0) +0
Heal (0) +0
Hide (2) +9 (+2 racial)
Intimidate (0) +0
Jump (0) +3
Knowledge (Planes) (4) +5
Listen (0) +0
Move Silently (2) +7
Open Lock (1) +6
Perform (0) +0
Ride (0) +5
Search (0) +0
Sense Motive (0) +0
Sleight of Hand (1) +6
Spot (0) +0
Survival (3) +3
Swim (0) +3
Tumble (1) +6
Use Rope (1) +6

Languages: Common, Infernal, Dover
Equipment:
Longsword (15gp)
Shortbow (30gp)
Quiver of 20 Arrows (1gp)
Dagger (2gp)
Leather Armor (10gp)
Spiked Heavy Wooden Shield (17gp)
Artisan’s Tools (2gp)
Belt Pouch (1gp)

Extra:  22gp

Background:
Victor has led a life full of unfortunate occurrences. It all began when he was born, which he believes to be unfortunate enough on its own. The Infernal heritage, which had remained hidden for a great deal of time, decided to show itself with his birth. The midwife nearly dropped the child when a pair of red eyes stared out at her. From that point onward, Victor and his family were shunned by the rest of the village. They tried to make do the best they could, but eventually, the pressure grew too great for Victor’s mother and she fled town, leaving him alone with his father.

At this point, the Infernal blood asserted a bit more presence in his form, and two horns protruded from his scalp. Desperately, he and his father tried to destroy them, but to no avail. Soon after, his father fell ill, and the young boy desperately tried to plead with the others in the village to help him, but none would risk helping the devil-child. Because of this, his father passed away, leaving the young boy all alone at the age of thirteen.

But despite all of the anger and resentment shown to him by the townspeople, he himself bore no disrespect toward them. It was the demons of his ancestry that had cursed him with this fate. Vowing to destroy them all, the young boy left his village, armed only with a stolen shortsword that he had ‘borrowed’ from the town blacksmith.

For years he wandered the countryside alone, defending himself against fierce beasts with nothing more than the determination to move forward. As he grew, he developed a talent for fighting, born from necessity. Also, when he needed food or other provisions, he learned what people did and did not believe, and grew accustomed to disguising himself in the cursed world, so as to not attract attention.

As he grew in bravery, he began asking for any rumors of any devilish creatures. What rumors he found were normally just Lemures, devil servants, but once in awhile did he manage to find an Imp. Thus was his way of life, traveling about, hunting whatever devils he could find.

Money was scarce, and his travels were often filled with long periods of boredom. Normally, he practiced with his weapon, but he knew that only true combat could further temper his ability. So he set about picking up a trade of sorts. By appearing interested, he gained a bit of information about the process of making a bow, and decided to try it for himself. While his first few attempts were nothing short of embarrassing, he started to understand how it went, and eventually crafted the shortbow which he now uses.

One day, a rumor came to him about a powerful devil who resided in a long-forgotten keep. Not one to delay, the young Tiefling left as soon as he was able. The keep turned out to be nothing more than a ruined tower, but such a thing he could not pass up. Inside, he found a creature wreathed in chains, and immediately recognized it as a fairly powerful devil. Before he even had the chance to attack, though, a chain wrapped around his leg, hauling him up into the air. With the barest of efforts, it tossed him out of the tower, sending him sprawling upon the ground.

Getting to his feet, he was about to try again, when the cawing of a bird caught his ear. Confused, he turned to look as a black cloud of avian creatures descended upon him, the world becoming nothing besides loud cawing. Then there was silence. As Victor opened his eyes, he was slightly astounded to find himself in a forest of sorts. A large forest, for that matter. But where was he?

After stumbling around for what seemed like days, he happened upon a small village of dog-like humanoids. They helped him to recover, and Victor found himself slightly amused to find that he rather liked this place. He would not end his hunting of devils, but in this world, no one knew him, and seemed to accept him for what he was, not what his ancestry held. Perhaps he would like it here…

I'm playing him more like a fighter-who-hunts-demons than the quintessential ranger. I'm getting quite a few of the books for my B-day (woot!) so I may or may not change the class, or possibly multi-class into something else in the next few levels. As of now though, treat this as done. If I change it before you make a reply, I'll let you know in an edit or something.

Thanks,
Kular

Voadam

Legend
Thanks to everybody who expressed an interest. I look forward to seeing your proposed characters. I have enough interested applicants to fill a party now so I will work with those who stated an interest before this post to make characters and end recruitment of more players for now.

Voadam

Legend
Dog45,

The dwarven Gestalt Barbarian Ranger works well. I'm not using the optional flaw rules from UA so you will have to choose which feat to stick with. You can use these character traits as characterization if you want but they will not provide mechanical differences. I'm also going to pass on allowing the mineral creature template. I will consider material from books I own or that are freely posted online with enough details for me to use them fully. The mineral one on its mechanics alone also seems strong in comparison with the core +2 LA templates of fiendish/celestial and lycanthrope from my quick review.

Pyrex

First Post
I'm still digesting the House Rules.

My current incliniation is to try out the psionic rules with a gestalt [psion, psy warrior]/Soulknife

Voadam

Legend
Pyrex said:
I'm still digesting the House Rules.

My current incliniation is to try out the psionic rules with a gestalt [psion, psy warrior]/Soulknife

It's a lot to digest I know :) I really like soulknives as a class btw. Always useable powers, easy to use mechanics, minimal resource management/tracking, and they are pretty cool as a class concept.

Pyrex

First Post
And it looks like Soulknife will gestalt quite well with PsyWar; the only way it'd be better was if PsyWar had full BAB...

Remove ads