• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will 4E be announced at D&D Experience?

Will 4E be announced at D&D Experience?

• Yes

Votes: 98 24.9%
  • No

Votes: 295 75.1%

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Ivid said:
Exactly - in the end, there was nothing exceptionally new that was told there, at least nothing that was taken as a sensation. :)

Given the definitive predictions of the imminent release of 4i by some posters, I'd say the non-appearence of the new edition must have been sensational to at least some people.

So for them, D&D XP really delivered the goods!

For the rest of us ... not so much.

/M

JVisgaitis

Explorer
eyebeams said:
It's just a matter of presentation. I worked for Apple a few years back. I discovered that Mac "fans" complain about the company continuously.

Sorry I'm a huge Mac fan. Working for the company is probably a lot different then being a common fan. I know dozens of Mac users and we never complain about the company.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
ShinHakkaider said:
I like D&D, I'm also a Mac user. You can't pull me away from my computer during a MAcworld announcement. I usually like talking to other mac users about mac stuff, other gamers not so much.

I fit the same bill, but would you care about a Macworld if you knew Jobs was going to be talking about products that were already announced? Not really. The coolness with Macworld is the fact that the announce new and exciting products. Wizards didn't announce anything new and exciting that we didn't already know about. That's my point. Nothing will ever equal the hype of Macworld and I figured that didn't need to be said.

eyebeams said:
But the Rules Compendium is supposed to include revisions culled from Sage Advice and other sources, which makes it just as much of a core update as 3.5.

Not sure how you can possibly bill a book of eratta as significant as 3.5. 3rd Party Publishers don't need to re-release products, retailers don't need to discount existing 3.5 books, and everything you have still works and is backwards compatible. Stating that a book of eratta is as significant as 3.5 is short sighted at best.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
:eek:

What I meant is that they will anounce it at Gencon for next years D&D eXP...(actually, not sure that really makes sense).

Anyways, the schedule remains suspicious, with bunch of non-edition specific releases towards the end of the year, and no obvious player oriented releases after May. But I guess you just don't know until you have that official anouncement.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
TerraDave said:
:eek:

What I meant is that they will anounce it at Gencon for next years D&D eXP...(actually, not sure that really makes sense).

Maybe, I dunno. I'm tired of chasing the elusive 4e. After D&D Experience, I no longer care to speculate on when it will be released. When it comes it comes.

Shroomy

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
Anyways, the schedule remains suspicious, with bunch of non-edition specific releases towards the end of the year, and no obvious player oriented releases after May. But I guess you just don't know until you have that official anouncement.

Its often stated that the WoTC D&D strategy is to cater to the players via options books because players far outnumber DMs. While I don't see WoTC abandoning this philosophy, I think that WoTC is now focusing on the longterm viability of the game by fostering a growth in DMing, which is why we are seeing an explosion of pre-published adventures (with focus on both introductory DMs and long-term campaigns) and "how-to" DM aids.

eyebeams

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
Sorry I'm a huge Mac fan. Working for the company is probably a lot different then being a common fan. I know dozens of Mac users and we never complain about the company.

Well, I suppose it's a bit different when you're fielding a situation where somebody's iPod wiped their HD thanks to a bug in an early release of iTunes:)

eyebeams

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
Not sure how you can possibly bill a book of eratta as significant as 3.5. 3rd Party Publishers don't need to re-release products, retailers don't need to discount existing 3.5 books, and everything you have still works and is backwards compatible. Stating that a book of eratta is as significant as 3.5 is short sighted at best.

It depends on how you define "significance," which is a terribly vague term. Given that I expect it to be a near-mandatory purchase by the existing fanbase which will reinterpret rules in ways I think will require non-trivial adjustments (because my examination of con games has indicated that many people only *think* they know the rules well), I'd say it is significant enough.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
eyebeams said:
Well, I suppose it's a bit different when you're fielding a situation where somebody's iPod wiped their HD thanks to a bug in an early release of iTunes:)

Geez! I work techsupport now at Network Solutions. Something like that would definitely do it for me.

eyebeams said:
Given that I expect it to be a near-mandatory purchase by the existing fanbase which will reinterpret rules in ways I think will require non-trivial adjustments (because my examination of con games has indicated that many people only *think* they know the rules well), I'd say it is significant enough.

Maybe... First off, I don't think its a mandatory purchase, but that's me commenting without knowing exactly what the book will contain. If it adds a bunch of new rules to the game that you can't get anywhere else and that you need to play the game, yeah its more of an "essential" purchase (it's still not mandatory). If its pulling different bits together from this book and that book and coming up with eratta that can be downloaded from the website then not so much.

I still say you are way off base. I'm going by what your definition of significant is which you stated as: "..which makes it just as much of a core update as 3.5." Sorry, but no way for reasons I've already stated. If you still think that's the case, I have nothing else to say...

painandgreed

First Post
eyebeams said:
It depends on how you define "significance," which is a terribly vague term. Given that I expect it to be a near-mandatory purchase by the existing fanbase which will reinterpret rules in ways I think will require non-trivial adjustments (because my examination of con games has indicated that many people only *think* they know the rules well), I'd say it is significant enough.

Not sure if i'd really call it near-mandatory. If they revise the rules that much, I probably just won't buy the new version just like I didn't buy 3rd Ed. WH40k or nWoD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads