• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will 5e D&D re-claim its campaign settings.

The lack of Eberron is the biggest reason we are dropping 5e. Granted we dont like the rules the way we do 4e, but if Eberron was "moved forward" into the new edition it would be worth giving it another go. Haunting this site in hopes of seeing some Eberron love coming our way.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
While I agree get where you are coming from and even partly agree with you, if they wait till year 5 to release a setting, that is a long time for fans of that setting to wait. It would be nice to see some kind of support, such as a short PDF of updates, especially if they don't plan on doing an AP anytime soon for that setting.

I would suggest they already did that with their Unearthed Arcana article that laid out the basics for those speciality things those Eberron players would need.

If some people don't feel that's good enough... well, nothing I can tell you there. But they did in fact do exactly what you want-- a short PDF of character updates to make the remaining Eberron characters you couldn't make from just the PH. At this point, a larger Adventurer's Guide might be coming... but it just won't be released in the first half of the game's life cycle because they don't publish enough items each year to have the space.

pkt77242

Explorer
I would suggest they already did that with their Unearthed Arcana article that laid out the basics for those speciality things those Eberron players would need.

If some people don't feel that's good enough... well, nothing I can tell you there. But they did in fact do exactly what you want-- a short PDF of character updates to make the remaining Eberron characters you couldn't make from just the PH. At this point, a larger Adventurer's Guide might be coming... but it just won't be released in the first half of the game's life cycle because they don't publish enough items each year to have the space.

What I would like to see added is a little additional information about what changes may have happened during the time period. Also that is one setting, what about DL, Greyhawk (not that I am sure if much is needed for Greyhawk), Dark Sun, etc. I would gladly pay $10-15 for a short PDF of updates to the setting, and class conversions/races for the setting. I am not expecting a huge book (or even a physical book at this point) but it would be nice to have some support for the other campaign settings.

Having said that, it isn't a deal breaker for me (or even something about which I complain regularly), and I will gladly keep playing 5E.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Be it a short conversion document or single book filled with rules for all the campaign settings of old, do you think 5e will at some point attempt to re-claim them all?

From what I've seen thus far, I have to say no. At best we will get adventures in other settings, and it's probably going to take them quite a substantial amount of time to get even one adventure for every setting.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled eternity of FR.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
From what I've seen thus far, I have to say no. At best we will get adventures in other settings, and it's probably going to take them quite a substantial amount of time to get even one adventure for every setting.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled eternity of FR.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting as well...unfortunately.

And there's a real good chance that one particular setting won't get anything at all. No prizes for guessing which edition's native setting will get left out...

Azurewraith

Explorer
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting as well...unfortunately.

And there's a real good chance that one particular setting won't get anything at all. No prizes for guessing which edition's native setting will get left out...
Which one would that be I'm a total nub when it comes to setting origins.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Which one would that be I'm a total nub when it comes to setting origins.

The world of Nerath--where Nentir Vale and Elsir Vale are located, where Bael Turath and Arkhosia fought their pyrrhic war. That is, 4e's implied-then-partially-fleshed-out "Points of Light" setting.

RotGrub

First Post
Why do you think it has something to do with not "competing against itself"? I mean let's be honest... thus far in the past two years they've released just 4 adventure books. 3 were in the Realms, 1 is now Ravenloft. They really haven't had the opportunity to compete against themselves even if they wanted to, based upon their publishing strategy.

Let's not forget... we're still just coming up on the end of Year Two of what I suspect was meant/hoped to be AT LEAST a 5 year (if not 6, 7, 8) publishing plan. If we're looking at the overall timeline of 5E... there's still *plenty* of time for them to slide over to an Eberron book, and/or a Greyhawk book, and/or Planescape or whatever. If we knew that their next 3 books following Curse of Strahd were going to be in the Realms, then sure, we'd be able to look at it differently and with a little more of a critical eye. But right now we're not even halfway (if even a third of the way) through 5E's life cycle. Time is on our side.

But if everyone's still getting up in arms right now even though they've just released a "Non-Realms" book, and for all we know have another "Non-Realms" book on the docket for release next (which is entirely possible-- heck, CoS just dropped in a Greyhawk Easter Egg, which could easily be a route back into GH if we follow the egg)... then people are getting bent out of shape prematurely and unnecessarily.

Not that... I'm really... surprised... by that of course. We *are* talking about gamers after all. ;)

I'm not convinced. It's not like TSR had a huge team in 1989-1991 and yet by 2 years in they had dozens of rule books published, and that's not including campaign settings or modules. By this time they were already well past the core and into books like the Complete book of Dwarves, Arms and Equipment Guide, and the Vikings handbook. Two years in and they had already published modules for Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, etc. And don't forget that during that time they were still supporting Basic D&D with modules and campaign settings like Hollow World.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm not convinced. It's not like TSR had a huge team in 1989-1991 and yet by 2 years in they had dozens of rule books published, and that's not including campaign settings or modules. By this time they were already well past the core and into books like the Complete book of Dwarves, Arms and Equipment Guide, and the Vikings handbook. Two years in and they had already published modules for Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, etc. And don't forget that during that time they were still supporting Basic D&D with modules and campaign settings like Hollow World.

You don't have to be convinced. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

Yes, TSR used to publish a lot of stuff from a whole bunch of different settings each week back in the late 80s. Now WotC doesn't. They've changed their publishing strategy because the times have changed and they've stated their reason for doing so. And it's not because they're afraid of "competing against themselves", it's because they don't feel the need or desire to publish that much stuff that quickly and burn the game out that fast.

They've been pretty up front about it since the beginning, even if no one wanted to believe them.

CapnZapp

Legend
Be it a short conversion document or single book filled with rules for all the campaign settings of old, do you think 5e will at some point attempt to re-claim them all?

As someone who runs home-brew games using official campaign settings, I can't say that I've been interested in buying any of the 5e modules.
I think they want to only release modules that maximize the potential customer base.

Which basically is homebrew plus Forgotten Realms.

If a pitch for a module can't be sold to those, it's not going to happen.

The era of releasing half a dozen Greyhawk-only, or Birthright-only modules is over.

At least for official support.

Remove ads