• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will 5e D&D re-claim its campaign settings.

RotGrub

First Post
Okay, understood. From that list, I feel like there are really only a few things needed...maybe a couple of races (although kender and minotaurs are already available, I believe, and gnomes and gully dwarves don't seem to require much) and the Solamnia and High Sorcery subclasses, and then maybe a few monsters. All of the rest of the stuff you list is fluff content and is available in a variety of forms already. I haven't read any Dragonlance stuff since the 2E days, but I'm sure maps and timelines and the like are easily found, no?

Well, moon magic is a mechanic specific to the campaign setting, it's not fluff. It's not like any of it can be found in the Tyranny of Dragons books as you suggested. Obviously, some campaign settings require more rules updates than others. That doesn't mean we are asking for 96 double sided pages of the 2e Dragonlance monster manual to be converted to 5e, but we do want some support. As for Maps, it's true that we can use the older maps, but that doesn't give us much in the way of modern support. In fact, I can't think of any DL fan who wouldn't appreciate a new DL map.

It think it's less painful to simply continue to play 2e than it is to switch to an edition that has zero support for your selected campaign world.

RotGrub

First Post
Actually, I'd like the settings to each have their own art direction. 2e got this right with Dark Sun and Planescape, but I think it'd be nore necessary with the more "normal" settings like Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Mystara. If the use the same art direction as the 5e corebooks, they'll come across too similar to the Forgotten Realms. Giving them each their own individualistic are direction (say like making Greyhawk's art more historic, realistic, and gritty) would give each setting a "feel" that's all their own.

That would be amazing, but it won't happen. :(

hawkeyefan

Legend
Actually, I'd like the settings to each have their own art direction. 2e got this right with Dark Sun and Planescape, but I think it'd be nore necessary with the more "normal" settings like Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Mystara. If the use the same art direction as the 5e corebooks, they'll come across too similar to the Forgotten Realms. Giving them each their own individualistic are direction (say like making Greyhawk's art more historic, realistic, and gritty) would give each setting a "feel" that's all their own.

I think that would be a good idea, but I'd say it has to be applied to more than just the art. I think that each of the settings need to offer something specific, something unique to it beyond just the geography. Tone and theme need a style just like the art does. I think this is truer of some of the more generic or classic settings (for lack of better terms) than it is for those that are more obviously different.

Well, moon magic is a mechanic specific to the campaign setting, it's not fluff. It's not like any of it can be found in the Tyranny of Dragons books as you suggested. Obviously, some campaign settings require more rules updates than others. That doesn't mean we are asking for 96 double sided pages of the 2e Dragonlance monster manual to be converted to 5e, but we do want some support. As for Maps, it's true that we can use the older maps, but that doesn't give us much in the way of modern support. In fact, I can't think of any DL fan who wouldn't appreciate a new DL map.

It think it's less painful to simply continue to play 2e than it is to switch to an edition that has zero support for your selected campaign world.

Okay, I was not familiar with Moon Magic. I thought that was a reference to the moons being tied to each of the orders rather than a mechanical thing. As I said, my knowledge of Dragonlance ends with the Steel Brightbalde and Palin Majere novel (Autumn Flame? I forget the name, but it was basically the end of the Hickman/Weis era, or was meant to be). I vaguely remember reading a book that had some kind of soul absorbing dragon or something, but I don't really recall.

I will say though they the campaign I am running is primarily a Planescape campaign, with action taking place on Oerth, Toril, Athas, and a campaign world of my own design. Only one of those worlds is officially supported by 5E, but I've been managing just fine. The Athas stuff needs the most work on my part, but it's not terrible. For much of it, I just use the old sourcebooks and then improv it as needed, and then jot down the best stuff as it takes shape.

I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, though. My "conversions" are very loose and often done on the fly or with minimal prep and then adjusted in play.

Jabborwacky

First Post
Some more so than others. Eberron and Ravenloft most definitely, but Greyhawk is really kept around due to reference. You need a Mordenkainen to have a Mordenkainen's magnificient mansion. We might see some Dark Sun or Dragonlance as well. The thing about Dragonlance, though... you can't really use the psionics rules there because its alien to the setting. With them possibly releasing a psionics manual sometime in the future, I don't think they'll be releasing a Dragonlance book anytime soon.

No worries...and the same applies to me, I mean no offense. I know that everyone plays differently and prepares the game differently, and it is all valid. I am not being critical other than to try and understand a differing approach.

I find that the NPCs and monsters and maps/combat sites in the adventure books provide a good deal of inspiration for my own work, and can also be lifted and repurposed easily, which lessens the amount of work I have to do since I create my own adventures as well.

The price is a bit high, I agree, but I feel like I get my money's worth. Obviously, that'll vary for others, which is understandable.

For someone who is only looking for player options, the adventure books would be minimal use, I agree. I don't feel like my group has come close to exhausting the existing options yet, but I know for many folks, more options as soon as possible is ideal.

Okay, understood. From that list, I feel like there are really only a few things needed...maybe a couple of races (although kender and minotaurs are already available, I believe, and gnomes and gully dwarves don't seem to require much) and the Solamnia and High Sorcery subclasses, and then maybe a few monsters. All of the rest of the stuff you list is fluff content and is available in a variety of forms already. I haven't read any Dragonlance stuff since the 2E days, but I'm sure maps and timelines and the like are easily found, no?

What they have already is really not right for Dragonlance, and Eberron is so far from FR that it might as well be a different game altogether, none of our races are in the PHB, our unique class is not provided, the dragonmarks are also not present, the setting is one of those that really needs a SCA style book. FR is so much like core phb that it could have gotten away with not doing it, but Eberron is truly a thing of its own. As it is, 5th ed fell way short for us in regards to our Eberron campaign and that was a driving force for us to abandon it almost completely, it simply met none of our setting needs.

hawkeyefan

Legend
What they have already is really not right for Dragonlance, and Eberron is so far from FR that it might as well be a different game altogether, none of our races are in the PHB, our unique class is not provided, the dragonmarks are also not present, the setting is one of those that really needs a SCA style book. FR is so much like core phb that it could have gotten away with not doing it, but Eberron is truly a thing of its own. As it is, 5th ed fell way short for us in regards to our Eberron campaign and that was a driving force for us to abandon it almost completely, it simply met none of our setting needs.

My familiarity with Ebberon pretty much boils down to the D&D Online game. I'm sure that's not the best representation, and I know there is likely more to the setting than that, and I've seen folks describe aspects on these boards...but I never got the impression it was that different, in the grand scheme. Some more tech aspects like airships and trains, and then of course the Warforged. A few other alternate races.

Does it need that much? I think they did some of the races in an Unearthed Arcanna, right? And I think they also did the dragon marks of I recall correctly, although I don't think those went over well.

I ask this not to be contrary, but just because I don't know all the ins and outs of Ebberon. For me, if it boiled down to a handful of races and the dragonmarks, I'm pretty confident I could handle all that myself, pretty easily.

What more is there?

My familiarity with Ebberon pretty much boils down to the D&D Online game. I'm sure that's not the best representation, and I know there is likely more to the setting than that, and I've seen folks describe aspects on these boards...but I never got the impression it was that different, in the grand scheme. Some more tech aspects like airships and trains, and then of course the Warforged. A few other alternate races.

Does it need that much? I think they did some of the races in an Unearthed Arcanna, right? And I think they also did the dragon marks of I recall correctly, although I don't think those went over well.

I ask this not to be contrary, but just because I don't know all the ins and outs of Ebberon. For me, if it boiled down to a handful of races and the dragonmarks, I'm pretty confident I could handle all that myself, pretty easily.

What more is there?
Dragonshards, psionics are a must, artifice, and they need a new book to get across the feel of the setting. DDO is a good representation of stormreach and the area around Xendrik, but there is alot more too it. Action points, etc. It has a whole different way of looking at creatures and planes and interelations, someone could handle it themself but they shouldnt have to.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Dragonshards, psionics are a must, artifice, and they need a new book to get across the feel of the setting. DDO is a good representation of stormreach and the area around Xendrik, but there is alot more too it. Action points, etc. It has a whole different way of looking at creatures and planes and interelations, someone could handle it themself but they shouldnt have to.

Well I think psionics are coming in some capacity. Some of the other stuff would definitely need mechanical updating to 5E.

The idea that people shouldn't have to make this stuff...well, I get that in theory...it'd be great if WotC was able to accommodate all the settings people want to see. I don't blame anyone for wanting to see the setting they like updated to the new edition of the game.

But in lieu of that happening...I think they've done the next best thing by giving us an edition where most of the mechanical needs of the settings are pretty easily replicated.

Time will tell. If the sales continue to support further products, then eventually we will get to more settings. My gues is that the more different or niche a setting is, the more unique, the sooner it will be seen.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Okay, I was not familiar with Moon Magic. I thought that was a reference to the moons being tied to each of the orders rather than a mechanical thing. As I said, my knowledge of Dragonlance ends with the Steel Brightbalde and Palin Majere novel (Autumn Flame? I forget the name, but it was basically the end of the Hickman/Weis era, or was meant to be). I vaguely remember reading a book that had some kind of soul absorbing dragon or something, but I don't really recall.
I think you are a bit off the mark in regards to the purposes of the Weis & Hickman books; as far as I can tell, every time the setting was re-wrecked to usher in a new edition of the game, Weis & Hickman were brought in to novelize it and add some legitimacy to the change.

When TSR wanted to push their new SAGA system game, Weis & Hickman were brought in to novelize it as Dragons of Summer Flame so fans would go along. That didn't work out too well, so when WotC needed to "fix" Dragonlance and make it work again with the 3rd Edition rules, Weis & Hickman were brought in again to write it all up and make it pretty (The War of Souls).

I guarantee that if Dragonlace is rehashed as an official 5e setting, we will see a new book or three by Weis & Hickman to explain the changes (i.e., presence of a different kind of dragon dudes and half-demon guys running around, plus all of a sudden almost everybody can cast spells for some reason).

Remove ads