• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will the WOTC Gametable return or is it dead forever?

tenkar

Old School Blogger
It was never here, so it can't return.

Is it ever going to arrive? I hope so, but I think they would be better off buying or licensing, FG2 / Battlegrounds / Some Other Alternative, then continuing to beat a horse that was barely alive before the latest purge of WotC employees.

jeffwik

First Post
When and if they get it going, fully integrated with the Compendium and the Character Builder -- that will or would be awesome. But the Character Builder being done was enough to entice me into getting a DDI subscription; even if the tabletop is never done I won't feel cheated provided the other two tools continue to get updated.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
The table top was definately somthing I was looking forward to as well. Even if it was a dumbed down 2.5D version instead of 3D... or just a grid and tokens like some of the ones I've seen. Just one that works would be welcome in my little world.

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
I'm of two minds about the Game Table. On the one hand, I've been trying to find a good, easy, robust system for playing games online for a while now, without much luck; on the other hand, I can't in good conscience ask my players to pay $6 a month to play in my game, even knowing that $6 is not exactly a lot of money.

evilgenius8000

First Post
There really hasn't been much news about the gametable one way or another, so it's not possible to say whether it's gonna be vaporware or not. However, given the situation with the character creator & visualizer, I'm convinced WotC will not be able to pull it off to the extent that they claimed they were going to. So, if it ends up not being vaporware (most likely 2+ years from now) it probably won't be as good as online RPG software that is already available.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I expect we'll see it sooner rather than later. Previous reports from WotC developers had the game table actually being used regularly by some employees. It seemed pretty far along. I suspect we'll have some news of it by the end of the year at least.

However, I expect to see the Dungeon Builder first. Especially since you need the Dungeon Builder to be able to get full use out of the game table anyway.

I think WotC has reprioritized and realized that instead of making a little progress on multiple apps, they have decided to focus on one app at a time and get it done sooner. Character Builder is done except for updates and maintenance and its fantastic. I expect they will turn to the character visualizer or the dungeon builder next. In fact, I predict one of those is fully released by June and the other by December. I predict the game table will be out by June 2010 at the latest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads