Will there be another DDM set in 2011?

Aluvial

Explorer
Bad Distribution for LoM

I cannot stand this set of miniatures!!!

Mainly it is the distribution. The very rares make it VERY HARD to collect all of the miniatures.

I have every single DnD mini from Harbinger on, in nearly every purchase, I've bought around 2 cases. In those, I've come short 1 to 3 rares.

I bought two cases of LoM. I received 6 Very Rares out of 16 boxes, that's only 3 per case! Two of these are duplicates, so I have 4 of the 12 very rares, missing 8, 3 of which are the Very Rare Huge figures (including both dragons). I am short 6 of the 22 rares, only one of which was a Rare Huge.

To complete the set, by buying cases, I figure I would need at least 4 more. I bought cases pre-ordered for around $90 a piece. Now, I see that low prices for cases are $110. That's about 6 cases to get a complete set from scratch. I would think that 4, and picking up the others in the secondary market would be best.

The rest of the distribution is nearly as bad. There are 22 rares. That makes over half of the set (36 out of the 60) Rare or Very Rare.

All of this makes the secondary market explode. Very Rares in the set are very expensive. I've seen the Elder Blue @ Augies for $49 already.

If this is going to be the distribution for the future, I will absolutely stop buying this product line.

As for the good, the sculpts are nice, but again, the paint... whatever on the paint.

By the way, some might like one of the miniatures being a TINY chest, or a TINY Brain in a Jar. For me, including items is a bad idea.... but again, others might like that type of thing (I do like the Trebuchet)

waaaaa! cry! waaaaa!

Keith Robinson

Explorer
tangent - are you by any chance a fan of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novak? I've never seen the term 'anyroads' anywhere else but there (used by that female Captain/Admiral whose name escapes me right now)

No, I've not seen/read it. Maybe it's more specific to the UK? I've certainly heard it used over here.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Any suggestions for huge uncommons, or any other suggestions for that matter?

What, and actually contribute to this thread in a positive way? Brrr, I don't know about that! :p

Well, okay then...

...but bear in mind, I'm basing this on 3ed, as I don't play 4ed, so not all of these might be valid...

... and also, I've gone for things that people might be happy to have multiples of...

- huge undead skeleton

- huge scorpion (or snake, I suppose, but scorpion would be better IMO)

- huge dire shark

- huge ooze (black pudding, but could be something else)

- object: huge overgrown column (ie overgrown with vine) - could use this as a column, as a ruin, or as an advanced assassin vine or other huge plant (don't know if there are such things in 4ed, but I'd guess so)

I'd probably swap one of those for a huge giant (hill giant), but it'd more likely be a rare (and it'd have to have a better paint job than the terrible huge frost giant!).

Also, it would be nice to get something that could fill in for a huge water elemental, but as you mentioned, they don't have those in 4ed, so I left it out.

Jools

First Post
If this is going to be the distribution for the future, I will absolutely stop buying this product line.

The huge cost of the very rares pushed the prices of commons, uncommons and even rares down to all new lows. As long as you don't succumb to some OCD need to catch 'em all this is the best set ever.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I cannot stand this set of miniatures!!!

Mainly it is the distribution. The very rares make it VERY HARD to collect all of the miniatures.

I have every single DnD mini from Harbinger on, in nearly every purchase, I've bought around 2 cases. In those, I've come short 1 to 3 rares.

I bought two cases of LoM. I received 6 Very Rares out of 16 boxes, that's only 3 per case! Two of these are duplicates, so I have 4 of the 12 very rares, missing 8, 3 of which are the Very Rare Huge figures (including both dragons). I am short 6 of the 22 rares, only one of which was a Rare Huge.

To complete the set, by buying cases, I figure I would need at least 4 more. I bought cases pre-ordered for around $90 a piece. Now, I see that low prices for cases are $110. That's about 6 cases to get a complete set from scratch. I would think that 4, and picking up the others in the secondary market would be best.

The rest of the distribution is nearly as bad. There are 22 rares. That makes over half of the set (36 out of the 60) Rare or Very Rare.

All of this makes the secondary market explode. Very Rares in the set are very expensive. I've seen the Elder Blue @ Augies for $49 already.

As for the good, the sculpts are nice, but again, the paint... whatever on the paint.

By the way, some might like one of the miniatures being a TINY chest, or a TINY Brain in a Jar. For me, including items is a bad idea.... but again, others might like that type of thing (I do like the Trebuchet)

waaaaa! cry! waaaaa!

All I really want is a hydra.

In all honesty if there are only a handful of figures you want to collect you are much better off buying singles off the secondary market. The chances of pulling a Hydra or huge Dragon from boosters is small (and I think I used up everyone's luck in this thread -sorry!). The number of boosters you'd need to get a specific very rare is something like 6-8 (on average). Bite the bullet and buy those Hydras and Dragons online singly.

The Kyngdoms said:
No, I've not seen/read it. Maybe it's more specific to the UK? I've certainly heard it used over here.

That must be it. Anyways if you get the chance, and like Age of Sail stories mixed with dragons, ;) check out His Majesty's Dragon by Naiomi Novak.

Last edited:

I love the set but yes- the ability (aka luck) of getting a full set is hard at best. Much of that is the Huge set factor.

In the four cases I bought I was missing 6 Very Rares and 1 Rare. As said before, go to the secondary market from there to get these figures and any duplicates you want.

As an Eberron 3.5 fan I wish some of the figures were different but that is the way it goes. Still it would be nice to see-

Human Dark Lantern (rogue with a few nifty magic items on them)

Horrid templated creature

Valenar Elf Commander / war cleric

Talenta Plains 1/2 ling (that dosen't look like he is wearing a winter coat!)

Breland bear patrol (lightly armored soldier riding a large bear)

Geth

Remove ads