• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will this work?

Cion

First Post
Hi all,

I´m currently considering playing a Halfling Bard in our next campaign.

Since I really like multiclassing this halfling will have more than one class.
I´m planning on taking Rogue and Bard levels. Once I´ve reached Rogue 3 / Bard 7 I´ll seriously consider Arcane Trickster.

What do you think about this combination? I´m not interessted in having THE killer character, but I sure don´t want to be the weakest character of the group.

Things I like about the combination:
- Evasion and 3 Classes with a good Reflex Save
- Only 3 Levels of Spellcasting lost
- Enough Skill Points

Things I don´t like
- Will have to take further levels in Bard to keep the Perform-Score high enough.
- My Bardic-Lore check will suck!

Which feats should I choose?
Improved Initiative is a no-brainer...
After that?
Point-Blank Shot?

We use 28 Point Buy.

Stats (after Race-Mod)
Str 10 (4 Points)
Dex 17 (8 Points)
Con 10 (2 Points)
Int 12 (4 Points)
Wis 10 (2 Points)
Cha 15 (8 Points)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Perform is no exclusive skill for bards, so you can buy it with the arcane trickster skill points, as a cross-class skill.

The archery feat tree can be quite interesting, if you want to hang back and fight (not a bad choice with your HP!). If you do want to go into melee, you might be interested in the two-weapons fighting tree, including stuff like two-weapon style and off-hand parry)

Zhure

First Post
from Song & Silence:
"Obscure Lore [General]
You are a treasure trove oflittle-known information-
Prerequisite : Bardic knowledge ability-
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on checks using your bardic knowledge ability. "

Cion

First Post
Perform is no exclusive skill for bards, so you can buy it with the arcane trickster skill points, as a cross-class skill.
Doh! I totally forgot about taking the Ranks as cross-class. (Maybe because I never had a character do that, wasted ressources:))
The archery feat tree can be quite interesting, if you want to hang back and fight (not a bad choice with your HP!). If you do want to go into melee, you might be interested in the two-weapons fighting tree, including stuff like two-weapon style and off-hand parry)
After playing a Ranger, a Barbarian/Rogue/Fighter, and a Sorceror/Fighter I´m ready to try ranged combat. And your Hit-Point argument weights heavy...

Cion

First Post
Zhure said:
from Song & Silence:
"Obscure Lore [General]
You are a treasure trove oflittle-known information-
Prerequisite : Bardic knowledge ability-
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on checks using your bardic knowledge ability. "
Great!

Now I have my first 2 feats...
Improved Initiative (Rogue 1)
Obscure Lore (Bard 2 Rogue 1)

But 9th level is a little late to start the with the ranged-combat feats. Dodge, Mobility? Other useful feats?

Cion

First Post
Drawmack said:
Traps and Trechery has a skill called Urban Lore, I'd post the specifics but I'm at work right now.
I just took a look at it and really like that Skill. Thanks for the advice.

Galfridus

First Post
If you're using stuff as afar as Traps & Treachery, you could also take the Signature Skill feat and make Perform a class skill for Arcane trickster. I think FR might have a better version of this feat too.

Bastoche

First Post
Iron will and great fortitude. Great "whatever" save usually means poor "the other two" saves. We house ruled that you stack your levels went multiclassing in classes that gives the same save or bab progression.

Archer

First Post
Because bardic abilities cap out at a fairly low power they are quickly replaced by various bolstering spells that don't stack and give larger bonuses to the party as well as penalize the enemy. +1 spellcaster level for a bard isn't nearly the advantage that it is for a full caster. You should ask your DM for a -2 ECL modifier for that combination. An extra 2 levels should put you on equal footing with other party members.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads