• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will this work?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
LokiDR said:

Buring through wands of fireball at higher levels is cheaper? Not much in the way of an evil plan, but still amusing.

Well, that's true -- but usually you don't use multiple charges of a wand of fireballs in a single battle (at least, we don't usually). Figure at ninth level, the alchemist-fire-throwing-bard/rogue is throwing 60 gp of alchemist's fire each round; these costs can definitely add up. It's worse for a lower-level rogue, who at 3rd level (first for a human) might be throwing 40 gp worth each round.

Still and all, it makes a great appetizer for a meal of whoopass. Start with the sneaky fire; next round, your opponent is still burning, and you can pull out the daggers or other weapons.

And if you use flasks of acid, your 12th-level rogue (with UMD oiut the yinyang and a scroll of wish and a wand of fly and a ring of blink) can take out the tarrasque using this trick :D.

Danil

Cion

First Post
First of all thanks for the advice.

I think I will give this character a try. Maybe we can even talk our GM into 32-Point Stat Buy and I can do something about my low CON-Score.

Feats so far:
1st: Improved Initiative
3rd: Point Blank Shot
6th: Rapid Shot
9th: Precise Shot or Obscure Lore
12th: We´ll see....

Oh and by the way: If I can talk my GM into giving me a special Bag of Holding (Type 0 :):Weight: 2lb, carries: 50 Stones or Bullets, free Action to retrieve), I´ll use a sling for this character.
Open the Bag, cast a GMW and fire away... :)

Stats incr.: First DEX and after that: CHA, CHA, CHA...

LokiDR: I will sure play a shadowdancer sometine, but he won´t be the lighthearted character this halfling is supposed to be...

LokiDR

First Post
Cion said:
LokiDR: I will sure play a shadowdancer sometine, but he won´t be the lighthearted character this halfling is supposed to be...

Are you saying shadows can't be happy? Just kidding. Have fun with the character.

christm

First Post
Cion, just looking at your stat points at the very start of this post you might want to exchange the point values for the Dex and Charisma. What spells the bard does get will have their saves based on Cha (Enchantment spells are their only real strong suit), and all the skills that the bard will excell at will be Charisma based skills such as diplomacy, bluff, ect. The initial setback in dex will be counteracted by the fact that as a bard you can wear up to medium armor and use a shield.

If you want to keep the initial high dexterity, and are starting this character at first level, you might want to pick up one level of rogue first, and get the massive boost to your initial skill points and sneak attack damage and still put skill points into your perform for when you pick up bard.

CAM

alternate bard

we dont need no stinking bards...

but any party can use a arcane spellcaster 8/ Loremaster 1/ virtuoso 1

you could throw in other arcane p-classes between levels 6-8 (alienist, guild mage, essentially any that give spell progression)

alternitivy you could do this with a gnome divine caster (or any other class or combo that gets 0 level arcan spells (there is a FR feat magical training)

it makes for a better character at 9th level than a bard character, who gets totally hosed for spell progression

--josh

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Re: alternate bard

Samhain California said:
we dont need no stinking bards...

but any party can use a arcane spellcaster 8/ Loremaster 1/ virtuoso 1

There's more to playing RPG than having an all-powerful character. It's about interesting characters, too! And bards can be really interesting to play. They may not excell in any field the other classes are strong (though they are great to deal with people and support the party), they are jacks-of-all-trades, and can be useful in almost every situation. Did I mention fun to play? Not in a min/max campaign, though, I fear...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads