• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will we realistically see a 5e campaign set in Eberron from WOTC?

haqattaqq

Villager
I've been DMing the WOTC 5e campaigns and really enjoying them. It's nice to be on the same major releases as many other players and to be able to hit up forums/etc and see so much feedback/advice/etc for the adventures.

I've read the old Eberron source books from previous editions and the setting seems so interesting. Having spent so much time in the forgotten realms I'm wondering if we'll ever get a major campaign from WOTC in this campaign setting... Does the Curse of Strahd point towards more non-forgotten realms settings? I know Chris Perkins gives hints about the upcoming projects periodically - does anyone remember anything about Eberron (or Dark Sun)?

Oofta

Legend
While WOTC is taking a go-slow approach to new books, I wouldn't be surprised if Eberron were the next major campaign released. It was fairly popular and has a distinctive "feel" to it.

Time will tell.

Wuzzard

First Post
The seem to be going through a list of classic adventure/theme hits and making new adventures to evoke that old time goodness. Was there an Eberron adventure that stands out as a classic or is representative of a classic theme? I remember the Eberron setting and ran a campaign in it but I didn't have any of the published adventures, so I'm not sure.

gweinel

Explorer
I wouldn't mind to see a pulp-fantasy noir-investigation story at low levels which escalates to an "Attack on Titan" style steampunk epic adventure.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Was there an Eberron adventure that stands out as a classic or is representative of a classic theme? I remember the Eberron setting and ran a campaign in it but I didn't have any of the published adventures, so I'm not sure.

Not particularly. The Eberron modules that were released for 3.5 (Shadows of the Last War, Whisper of the Vampire's Blade, Grasp of the Emerald Claw, Eyes of the Lich Queen etc.) were all good adventures that showed off the particulars of the setting... but none of them are thought of as "classic adventures". In other words... they weren't so great and popular that people kept re-using them generically as well.

That being said... because Eberron is so specific in its stylings, any AP written within it doesn't need to evoke any particular previous adventure, it just needs to evoke the setting itself. Which is simple enough to do. The only issue though is that because Eberron is noir magi-tech, it sets the adventure into a particular genre style that is perhaps more difficult to... adapt or move... into other settings should each particular DM choose to do so.

Moving Tyranny, Princes, or Abyss to Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Eberron etc. I believe was probably a less difficult feat than it would be to take an Eberron-specific AP and cleanse it of all the EB stuff to then be used in said settings. Which might make WotC less inclined to write one for it. Not saying they won't... but just that it might be less likely than say one in Greyhawk first?

Especially considering we've just had our first multiverse crossover with that setting via Curse of Strahd.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The question would be, can WotC find a partner that will be able to do a good job at producing Eberron? And the most likely partner would be Keith Baker and on the other hand he is also producing his new game.

So will WotC wait for his schedule to clear or will they get another group of freelancers to give it their best shot?

The question would be, can WotC find a partner that will be able to do a good job at producing Eberron? And the most likely partner would be Keith Baker and on the other hand he is also producing his new game.

So will WotC wait for his schedule to clear or will they get another group of freelancers to give it their best shot?
This.

When Keith Baker talks about Eberron, his insights show that he has thought much more about the world and how it all works together than have ever actually been shown in any of the books.
Many of the additional Eberron books from other authors are not just less internally consistent, but parts of them seem to contradict elements of the setting itself. The treatment of the Church of the Silver Flame being one of the most egregious examples.

Remove ads