• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Will we see more 5e campaigns from WOTC like Curse Of Strahd? (eg focus on investigation vs combat)

haqattaqq

Villager
Ahhh well, at least we had ravenloft. Anyone have any other campaigns that they can recommend that encourage diplomacy vs murderhobo-ing? Enworld published "ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution" and I read the first scenario of that and it seemed pretty promising... I really like being on the major WOTC releases, but Ravenloft is just so good that it's made me want to play something that's similarly focused on interactions that don't all end with rolling initiative.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Anyone have any other campaigns that they can recommend that encourage diplomacy vs murderhobo-ing?
Hmm, have you checked out Murder in Baldur's Gate? It has some combat, but the emphasis is on the citywide intrigue, and the PCs can really end up being "kingmakers" depending on who they support.

From the product description at DM's Guild:

Each of these stages is event-driven, with players deciding which villainous plots they're going to overcome. Unlike classic Encounters, these events didn't necessarily result in pitched tactical battles. Many sessions had no combat — and might even have no dice rolling! This left a lot on the shoulders of the GMs, who had to figure out how to respond when players offered their freeform responses to the week's dilemmas.

The events of the season are ultimately initiated by three NPCs, each of whom wishes to become the new Chosen of Bhaal.

Arilyn

Hero
Hmm, have you checked out Murder in Baldur's Gate? It has some combat, but the emphasis is on the citywide intrigue, and the PCs can really end up being "kingmakers" depending on who they support.

From the product description at DM's Guild:

Each of these stages is event-driven, with players deciding which villainous plots they're going to overcome. Unlike classic Encounters, these events didn't necessarily result in pitched tactical battles. Many sessions had no combat — and might even have no dice rolling! This left a lot on the shoulders of the GMs, who had to figure out how to respond when players offered their freeform responses to the week's dilemmas.

The events of the season are ultimately initiated by three NPCs, each of whom wishes to become the new Chosen of Bhaal.
This was an excellent module. We really enjoyed it, and there were many different ways the story could unfold, depending on the players' choices. The follow up module was also extremely well done. I think it was called Legacy of the Crystal Shard, but not too sure.

haqattaqq

Villager
This was an excellent module. We really enjoyed it, and there were many different ways the story could unfold, depending on the players' choices. The follow up module was also extremely well done. I think it was called Legacy of the Crystal Shard, but not too sure.

Awesome! Sounds great, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Ahglock

First Post
I really hope it becomes more common. Ideally there is a decent balance between the two with either road in many encounters a potential viable option for the pcs. I don't want to deny people the joy of a murder hobo if that's their jam.

Remove ads