• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you be able to fix the broken links to "Pre-Breach" Enworld posts?

Cleon

Legend
I've noticed that all the links in the Creature Catalog forum's Creatures Awaiting Upload list are now broken since Enworld's resurrection, since our sparkly new forums use different URLs than our old posts and threads employed.

I'm wondering whether that's going to be a permanent state of affairs or something Our Noble Techies are planning to correct when they have time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's not yet known. There isn't necessarily a simple translation from one to the other - our kindly admins are looking into it to see if they can make that happen.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
And on a similar note, will the secure dice roller carry over? if so is there an estimate when? if no estimate, the I will be happy whenever it gets here!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, it seems I wasn't clear! No, nothing is still here other than the forums and a rudimentary news page. Anything we want back we have to get recoded. Unfortunately, this will take months/years and thousands of £s (it took us a decade to build it all up in the first place). We'll work our way through it as fast as we can - and can afford - but please don't be disappointed when the timescale is months/years rather than days. And yes, we recognise the long-term damage that means. We got done over good!

Scott DeWar

So, Months/years then :(

This is a really bad time to be jobless and unemployable. This really stinks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some things will take longer than others. We just can't tell yet. We're asking for prices and timescales for everything so that we can then try to formulate a rough plan - but bear in mind we really weren't prepared for this.

Cleon

Legend
That's not yet known. There isn't necessarily a simple translation from one to the other - our kindly admins are looking into it to see if they can make that happen.

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the case after noticing there were more differences between the old and new addresses than a "showthread.php".

Fortunately, it doesn't matter very much for hyperlinks to monsters conversions we've already uploaded to the Creature Catalog because the CC uses php, so its addresses haven't been changed by The Great Crash.

Cleon

Legend
Thanks, I was afraid that would be the case after noticing there were more differences between the old and new addresses than a "showthread.php".

Fortunately, it doesn't matter very much for hyperlinks to monsters conversions we've already uploaded to the Creature Catalog because the CC uses php, so its addresses haven't been changed by The Great Crash.

Okay, many of the hyperlinks in question refer to a particular post in a thread, which means a simple but effective fix is substituting POST for URL.

For example, the first entry in the Creatures Awaiting Upload & Current Conversions thread is Amber Lotus, which has URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/5460288-post125.html and /URL defining the link, which is now broken.

Using the same post# and substituting POST=5460288 and /POST for the URL="address" and /URL and it links to the appropriate place on the new forums.

Old Forum: Amber Lotus (Broken, gives "this page isn't redirecting properly" error)
New Forum: Amber Lotus (Works!)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Okay, many of the hyperlinks in question refer to a particular post in a thread, which means a simple but effective fix is substituting POST for URL.

For example, the first entry in the Creatures Awaiting Upload & Current Conversions thread is Amber Lotus, which has URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/5460288-post125.html and /URL defining the link, which is now broken.

Using the same post# and substituting POST=5460288 and /POST for the URL ="address" and /URL and it links to the appropriate place on the new forums.

Old Forum: Amber Lotus (Broken, gives "this page isn't redirecting properly" error)
New Forum: Amber Lotus (Works!)

I did a couple of find-and-replaces on my Creatures Awaiting Upload & Current Conversions post and the links now work properly, so it looks like it might solve many of the broken links.

Scott DeWar

something I have discovered is all of the characters of the games I am in are expectedly unavalable, however I noticed the older games are not recovered yet and, well, I kinda need to see the character sheets. I am sure I am not alone in this. uh, suggestions?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads