• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will you buy 4e?

Will you buy 4th edition?

• I will buy it sight unseen

Votes: 283 38.9%
  • I might buy it, after initial reviews

Votes: 163 22.4%
  • I probably will not buy it, but might eventually

Votes: 172 23.6%
  • I absolutely will not buy it

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 47 6.5%

Korgoth

First Post
Virel said:
If 4e-3e=1e, then Yes

In other words, if they have taken the bad 3e stuff (excessive DM prep time for instance) out of 4e and has a good 1e feel to it, I will buy it. If 4e is just 3e in drag, I won't buy it.

Hope springs eternal. But yes, agreed.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
EricNoah said:
I don't see it in my future. I will certainly follow the news with interest. But as I've said elsewhere, a) I have so much 3e stuff I couldn't use it all in my lifetime, and b) I have little faith that the accompanying digital initiative will be all that great, particularly the character generation parts of it. Just based on their track record with such.

Me also!

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Probably not, unless it's really something. I've invested a LOT of money in 3.5 and so have my players. Unless there's a lot of compatibility, I don't see it happening.

I will almost certainly be buying the core books (assuming that they are still the core 3, PHB, DMG, MM). After that I am not sure.

Having said that, I am pretty sure that I will be continuing to run a 3.5E game for the next year or so at least. I may continue to do so, even after 4E has been out for a while. I shall wait and see what the future holds.

I'll still probably buy the core books, even if I don't run a 4E game though.

Olaf the Stout

Kvantum

First Post
skeptic said:
If 4E is to 3.xE what 3.xE was to 2E : I buy.
If 4E is to 3.5E what 3.5E was to 3.0E : I don't buy.
And I'm the exact opposite. If it's easy to convert 3.5 into 4.0, as easy as a 3.0 to 3.5 conversion, then sure.

Otherwise, hell no. I've got too much invested in 3.X and d20 to change now.

Greg K

Legend
der_kluge said:
So, now that it's official - will you buy it? What are your feelings?

If the last couple years of products, Mike Mearls redesign articles, the recent designing MM articles, a move to per encounter, and the Star Wars skills system are an indication of what is in store, hell no!

Following Unearthed Arcana, there are very few things,imo, that I think WOTC has done right and, barring a few exceptions, everything right has been limited to the dedicated monster books (dragonomicon, fiendish codex, etc.).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I voted "probably not" though the truth is, I probably will (just not for a few years, given the huge amount of money I just dumped into the current edition this year).

Insufficient data.

I have tons of 3.5E material yet unused ... enough for 5+ years or more. If it's close to 3.5 to allow easy conversion (as 3.5 was to 3.0), then possibly. But right now, not likely ...

My biggest fear is that 4E + DI is moving to a MMORPG model -- buy the core books, then all other material requires a monthly subscription to their digital site. Stop paying up and you're left with nothing ...

Remove ads