• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will You Count "Roman Numeral" Books As Core?

Will You Count "Roman Numeral" Books As Core?

• Yes! Hail Caesar!

Votes: 81 50.9%
  • No! Romanes eunt domus!

Votes: 78 49.1%

jester47

First Post
The Roman numeral Books- PHB II, DMG II, MM III, etc...

Will you consider them core books?

Edit: I might want to make a new poll querying the potential sale landscape of the Roman Numeral Books.

Last edited:

hazel monday

First Post
Good Question. Definitely not.
I might use them if I like them. But I won't consider them "core". I think the definition of core is going to be a lot more subjective in 4E.

Gloombunny

First Post
"core" is just a word. It can reasonably be used to refer either to the most basic books, the ones you're supposed to have to play the game at all, or to the books that apply to the game in general instead of to specific settings - the "core" that the settings all revolve around. We're just more used to the former meaning than the latter.

That said, I would've preferred to keep using "core" as I'm used to, especially since I use that term all the time for other RPGs where the second meaning is inapplicable, but if WotC sticks to their guns on this the second meaning may eventually drown out the first. Either way, I hope it gets resolved fairly soon; I hate ambiguous communication.

JohnSnow

Hero
I voted yes.

As core as I hold anything. That doesn't mean I'll use every class and every monster in every campaign I run. But that's true now.

As a side note, I hope they number them with Arabic numerals just to hack off the people calling them "Roman Numeral Books."

jester47

First Post
Then they will become "The Number Books."
The idea I think is to make a clear distinction between the first three and anything subsequent. That way there is a designation that says "This is not required for play, no matter how much the publisher wants to imply it is."

Which I think is fair to consumers.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
No. The core by defnition, is what is core to the game, the rules that everything else will run off. And I'd hope what is core to most games is included in the PHB, DMG, MM.

PHBII, DMG II, MMII and the books that follow those I'll view in the same light as Unearthed Arcana, Complete Arcane, PHB II (3.5) etcetera.

Remove ads