• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will You Count "Roman Numeral" Books As Core?

Will You Count "Roman Numeral" Books As Core?

• Yes! Hail Caesar!

Votes: 81 50.9%
  • No! Romanes eunt domus!

Votes: 78 49.1%

WyzardWhately

First Post
I can play the game without them, obviously. *shrug* I suppose that's the way I want to use the term, 'core.' The PHB/DMG/MM triad are sort of the essential elements of a d&d campaign, along with a homebrew campaign. I suppose one could homebrew all kinds of stuff, like monsters, so the line in the sand I've drawn is in some sense arbitrarily.

But, in my head, regardless of definitions promulgated by marketing, the sequels aren't core for me. I'll buy them solely based on their individual merits.

drothgery

First Post
If WotC wants to call them core, and treat them like they're core, then they're core. I expect I'll buy all the PHs, no DMGs after DMG2 (if that), and no MMs after MM1 unless I end up running 4e rather than playing it.

delericho

Legend
Gloombunny said:
I've never understood how "necessary to play the game" can possibly include a Monster Manual.

You'd be hard pressed to play Dungeons & Dragons without the titular dragons. And although you can fill in the gaps yourself, by that same logic you could just as well manage without any rulebooks at all.

Basically, those three books represent the smallest 'complete' set of rulebooks for the game. Hence, they're the 'core rulebooks'.

IMO, of course.

Khairn

First Post
As WotC is considering them and promoting them as "core", that term will will eventually be re-defined from its current definition as the original 3 books to the new definition as whichever books WotC wants to include.

I think questioning whether individual GM's will count roman numeral books as core is a moot point.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sure, why not. PHB-II was one of the best books I bought.

None the less, I reserve the right to ban anything and everything with no justification or appeal.

Cheers, -- N

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Since I am all about letting my players play the character concept they want, so unless something being presented in the roman numeral books is truly out of place then I am all for letting my players use it.

Remove ads