Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Sadras

Legend
I don't personally have any particular objection to any of them. I think the concern of someone using them for roguey shenanigans is fairly narrow. Someone doing that is more likely to be abusing the purpose of the ability.

What is the correct purpose of the ability?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Gender has nothing to do with offspring or sexual reproduction and everything to the way societies have constructed gender roles. Once again, there is nothing inherently biological in the formation or proscription of gender roles.

Hell, if gender roles were as linked to reproduction in humans as you suggest, we would all trace our lineage matrilinearly, and monogamy would not be the norm. The dominance of patrilineage and monogamy suggest that there absolutely no link between society's constructed gender roles and any biological imperative regarding reproduction.

One of those was admittedly a hyperbole that I should have face-checked and corrected before posting; that's on me. That said, at least I'm appealing to those who would be considering authorities on the subject. You simply keep re-asserting that biology and gender are inextricably, as if these were simply common sense and not concepts obviously in dispute, with little attempt to back it up and absolutely no evidence that such a belief is backed by any sort of scientific community. If you have any -modern- studies to link to, please share them. I'm always happy to learn.

If a speak with a sense of confidence, I do so not because I have faith, but because I have the knowledge, study, and experience to understand what it is I am talking about. This is only an example of "belief" or "faith" in the sense that I have greater "faith" in academic research than I do in what appears to be your "gut" feel for "common sense".

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/gender-identity-biological-study/story?id=29335854

https://qz.com/1190996/scientific-research-shows-gender-is-not-just-a-social-construct/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/01/how-science-helps-us-understand-gender-identity/

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
What happens to a pregnant female elf with the Blessing of Corellon that elects to become male?
That's been hashed out on either or both of the threads dedicated to Corellon's Blessing. There are no written rules that demand One True Way to handle the situation. Common sense suggests that the attempt to change would fail, or would cause a miscarriage. The drama factor of the plot thread is increased, perhaps at the expense of the fun factor.

Personally, I'd go with a version where the change is a public ritual and some officiant beforehand will run a medical checkup on you to make sure that such unforeseen consequences are caught early on in the process; you won't "qualify" until the child is born (and weaned?). After that task is taken care of, you can join the next class of initiates.

Sadras

Legend
Personally, I'd go with a version where the change is a public ritual and some officiant beforehand will run a medical checkup on you to make sure that such unforeseen consequences are caught early on in the process; you won't "qualify" until the child is born (and weaned?). After that task is taken care of, you can join the next class of initiates.

Nice idea. I'm not a fan of such a Blessing available every long rest, it cheapens the Blessing IMO.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)

I'm forced to admit that these are completely fascinating. And surprised I hadn't heard about them before, given the implications they have. Thank you for indulging me.

I'll also admit that I'm not entirely sold, but then I'm fairly heavily entrenched in the nurture>nature camp (which shouldn't be surprising, given that I am a sociologist, which is probably why I also shouldn't be that surprised I hadn't seen these studies make the rounds). But then I should also know better by now that the human being is way too complex to make hyperbolic absolutist statements about them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Think of the following example: you may have been raised with someone, and you call them, oh, Laurie. Now, maybe at some point years down the road, they prefer to go by Laura. You still call them Laurie not to hurt them, not to be a jerk, but because that is just grooved in your brain.

Humans are not the strongest animals. Nor the fastest in the chase. Our claim to fame is our cognitive flexibility. So, you know, flex. Unless you have some form of cognitive dysfunction, it isn't a lot to ask. And yeah, if Granny is 90, we can give her a pass. I was responding to, "...unreasonable to the point of being impossible," which falls down as a generalization.

I think that, depending on your age and your social cohort, you might be expecting a lot from people that they may not be fully able to give. Not to go all "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer" on you, but if you are past a certain age, some ideas such as "cisgendered" which may be completely natural for some people to say or understand, still feel odd for those to whom the idea of labeling it would never have occurred.

We are talking about having a specific person say, "please use this form of address." You don't need to know the jargon, or understand all the underlying stuff. You need to understand that a fellow human being made a request. Do you show them the basic respect of doing your level best to abide by a small request, or not? That's the question.

In the end, just try and be understanding, and treat people with the respect that you would want to be treated with, and if someone messes up, try and be understanding and teach them to do better. :)

I don't see as anyone here is suggesting anything more draconian.

Remove ads