Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Humans are not the strongest animals. Nor the fastest in the chase. Our claim to fame is our cognitive flexibility. So, you know, flex. Unless you have some form of cognitive dysfunction, it isn't a lot to ask. And yeah, if Granny is 90, we can give her a pass. I was responding to, "...unreasonable to the point of being impossible," which falls down as a generalization.

We are talking about having a specific person say, "please use this form of address." You don't need to know the jargon, or understand all the underlying stuff. You need to understand that a fellow human being made a request. Do you show them the basic respect of doing your level best to abide by a small request, or not? That's the question.

I don't see as anyone here is suggesting anything more draconian.

I, and pretty much every parent I know, still mixes up our kids' names and call the wrong kid the wrong name every once in a while. I don't think it's a form of cognitive dysfunction to make an occasional slip now and then. More than anything, we are creatures of habit and association, and assuming a flaw in someone, or act like something is broken with them for slipping up once in a while, is a pretty crappy thing to do, to be honest.

I have no problems addressing someone with how they want to be addressed because why wouldn't I? That's just basic common courtesy. But lowkey has a point as well. Refusing to call the person Laura makes you a jerk. Slipping up now and then by calling them Laurie because that's what you've called them your whole friendship just makes you human, and not broken with a cognitive dysfunction.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I found out my best friend wanted to be called "Sarah" because they identified as female.

This was after working together for three years.

Once I started using Sarah at work, and referring to her as she, the rest of the workplace slowly fell into using the correct term.

I was a great help and comfort to my friend.

To this day I still occasionally mess up. She knows it is not on purpose, and doesn't hold a grudge.

And the mistakes slowly get fewer and fewer.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I, and pretty much every parent I know, still mixes up our kids' names and call the wrong kid the wrong name every once in a while. I don't think it's a form of cognitive dysfunction to make an occasional slip now and then. More than anything, we are creatures of habit and association, and assuming a flaw in someone, or act like something is broken with them for slipping up once in a while, is a pretty crappy thing to do, to be honest.

I have no problems addressing someone with how they want to be addressed because why wouldn't I? That's just basic common courtesy. But lowkey has a point as well. Refusing to call the person Laura makes you a jerk. Slipping up now and then by calling them Laurie because that's what you've called them your whole friendship just makes you human, and not broken with a cognitive dysfunction.

Yeah. I think it was lowkey that pointed it out, but because there's been such a high-profile push to weaponize pronouns against members of the trans community, there's a definite sensitivity to the wrong name/pronoun being used in spaces. What I will argue, however, is that that sensitivity is entirely justifiable. While there is a tendency in social justice spaces for circular firing squads and the so-called "callout culture", when you're so used to being called the wrong pronoun on purpose as a way to be hurt, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between that and a honest slip up.

The thing is though, because of that weaponization it's easy for that honest slip-up to cause actual, real harm. So just as I think that people are human and we shouldn't throw the book at everyone if they accidentally use the wrong pronoun once in a while (which honestly happens much more rarely than people might think), it's also important to recognize that trans-identified people are human too, and to cut them some slack (and try not to act defensive) if they react strongly to a simple error.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah. I think it was lowkey that pointed it out, but because there's been such a high-profile push to weaponize pronouns against members of the trans community, there's a definite sensitivity to the wrong name/pronoun being used in spaces. What I will argue, however, is that that sensitivity is entirely justifiable. While there is a tendency in social justice spaces for circular firing squads and the so-called "callout culture", when you're so used to being called the wrong pronoun on purpose as a way to be hurt, it becomes difficult to tell the difference between that and a honest slip up.

The thing is though, because of that weaponization it's easy for that honest slip-up to cause actual, real harm. So just as I think that people are human and we shouldn't throw the book at everyone if they accidentally use the wrong pronoun once in a while (which honestly happens much more rarely than people might think), it's also important to recognize that trans-identified people are human too, and to cut them some slack (and try not to act defensive) if they react strongly to a simple error.

Oh, absolutely. I agree with everything you said. I just don't think it's OK to assume someone has a broken cognitive ability if they slip up. Once our brain makes a firm association with something, it's very difficult to suddenly change that, especially if it happens in casual conversation when you're not intentionally focusing on using the new name.

Gradine

Oh, absolutely. I agree with everything you said. I just don't think it's OK to assume someone has a broken cognitive ability if they slip up. Once our brain makes a firm association with something, it's very difficult to suddenly change that, especially if it happens in casual conversation when you're not intentionally focusing on using the new name.

That's true. There's a point though, where intentionally focusing on using the new name/pronoun ought to the bar for "being respectful". Considering, again, the immense effort some in our society take towards turning "deadnames" and incorrect pronouns into a tool for hatred and demeaning, taking that extra effort to intentionally respect a person's true identity seems like the least those of us who don't have to deal with that in our lives could do.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That's true. There's a point though, where intentionally focusing on using the new name/pronoun ought to the bar for "being respectful". Considering, again, the immense effort some in our society take towards turning "deadnames" and incorrect pronouns into a tool for hatred and demeaning, taking that extra effort to intentionally respect a person's true identity seems like the least those of us who don't have to deal with that in our lives could do.

I don't think that's realistic at all, to be honest. If you've been friends with Bill for decades, who is now Sarah, and you're playing Call of Duty like you have for years, you're not going to be focused on "I need to intentionally focus on calling her Sarah." Your mind will be on the activity, and it's entirely likely that you might slip up and say, "Hahahahaha, you totally smoked that newb Bill!" like you've said countless times in the past. The point, is that changing that association takes time to reprogram the brain. It has nothing to do with weaponizing, being a jerk, being respectful, whatever. It's how the brain works. And in those situations, I would like to think Sarah wouldn't have to wonder if you were being a jerk or not, and that decades of friendship gives you the benefit of the doubt of what your intent was/is, and just because you slipped up, it doesn't mean you're being disrespectful.

Gradine

I don't think that's realistic at all, to be honest. If you've been friends with Bill for decades, who is now Sarah, and you're playing Call of Duty like you have for years, you're not going to be focused on "I need to intentionally focus on calling her Sarah." Your mind will be on the activity, and it's entirely likely that you might slip up and say, "Hahahahaha, you totally smoked that newb Bill!" like you've said countless times in the past. The point, is that changing that association takes time to reprogram the brain. It has nothing to do with weaponizing, being a jerk, being respectful, whatever. It's how the brain works. And in those situations, I would like to think Sarah wouldn't have to wonder if you were being a jerk or not, and that decades of friendship gives you the benefit of the doubt of what your intent was/is, and just because you slipped up, it doesn't mean you're being disrespectful.

I don't think it's all unrealistic, but I'm also not saying that everyone should be perfect at all times all the time. The scenario I'm thinking of applies more to casual acquaintances rather than close lifelong friends. To err is human, and everyone, even the most respectful and caring of friends, is sure to slip up on occasion. I'm more trying to caution that "people make mistakes all the time" is not cover for not really bothering to try learning to use a person's true name/pronoun regularly.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I do not plan to make any kind of cannon in my game, and I don't think an elf cannon is a good idea, and I am not sure why the sexual identity of the cannon (elf or not) would be relevant. I mean, I suppose if I were going to make a cannon of some kind, it would likely be a gnome cannon because they like to tinker with stuff. And they'd likely blow themselves up frequently.

Remove ads