• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winged Rogue Ideas

Aristeas

First Post
One of my players in an upcoming campaign has her heart set on a Winged (Savage Species Template) Elf rogue. Since I'll be helping her make the character, and I'd like her to be at least reasonably effective, I'm trying to think of things that might synergize with that. Flyby attack seems like a good idea, since a 50' movement and Good maneuverability will generally mean she can fly in, flank, and fly out of melee range each turn, avoiding the elf rogue's general problems with being hit. This only allows a single attack, so it has to count. She'll be 10th level, LN alignment. SRD, Complete series, and PHB II are allowed, although prestige classes are 1 per character. Thanks, and merry Christmas.

Winding Road

First Post
Why not try the scout from Complete Adventurer instead? Skirmish would be more effective than SA when using Flyby Attack, and the scout can also fill the role of trapfinder/skillmonkey.

Darklone

Don't forget that Flyby attack doesn't help against the movement AoOs. And tumbling while flying is funny, yet many DMs like to penalize it.

Flyby is good for staying in full cover, fly out, cast a spell, fly back.

What kind of char does she plan to be? Spellcaster, archer, melee monster (NOT good with that race) or healer?

Sorcerer would be good to have a lot of fireballs ... yet she needs every hp she can get and the LA hurts the spellcasting power.

Aristeas

First Post
Winding Road said:
Why not try the scout from Complete Adventurer instead? Skirmish would be more effective than SA when using Flyby Attack....

The SA gives more raw damage if you can set it up, but you're right that skirmish would be easier to get reliably. Especially because you could do it with a bow. Scout doesn't have the social skills, but those can be subbed in easily enough. Good thought.

Darklone said:
And tumbling while flying is funny, yet many DMs like to penalize it.

I'm the DM and I'd allow it. I picture "tumble" as covering any use of tricky, unpredictable movement to confuse the people you're attacking. Just as easy when you're in the air.

Darklone said:
What kind of char does she plan to be? Spellcaster, archer, melee monster (NOT good with that race) or healer?

Skillmonkey of whichever type. So likely roguish, or, as pointed out above, scoutish. While elf+LA isn't good for anything, it's at least not terrible for rogues.

Darklone

I had an AU faen turning into a spryte in my group... was fun to imagine and to describe how the small buzzer tumbled/flew through the opponents. With an elf it would be a little bit more difficult, but still funny.

Did you think about a ranger? Lotsa skillpoints and favored enemy. Strength is not penalized and there are many nice ranger spells boosting archery... making single shots worthwhile.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I'd go for bat wings and Ninja or Scout class...I'm Batman!

And if this were a Tiefling, I'd be singing "Jeepers Creepers" a lot...

However, as I sit here, I'm thinking about the combination of flight plus effectively unlimited ranged attacks. Classes that fit that description include (but are not limited to):

1) Warlock
2) Psion
3) Wilder
4) Any psionic PC or naturally psionic creature that qualifies for the Pyromancer (or its other energy type variants) PrCl.

And multiclass that with the Rogue-ish class of choice.

If a spellcasting class is taken, consider not only "specializing" in ranged touch spells, but also expanding your repetoir of ranged touch spells with the Reach Spell Metamagic Feat (I believe that's what its called) from CompDiv that gives a touch spell range.

Last edited:

Shellman

First Post
Darklone said:

Um as stated in the original post:

One of my players in an upcoming campaign has her heart set on a Winged (Savage Species Template) Elf rogue.

Shellman

First Post
Aristeas said:
One of my players in an upcoming campaign has her heart set on a Winged (Savage Species Template) Elf rogue. Since I'll be helping her make the character, and I'd like her to be at least reasonably effective, I'm trying to think of things that might synergize with that. Flyby attack seems like a good idea, since a 50' movement and Good maneuverability will generally mean she can fly in, flank, and fly out of melee range each turn, avoiding the elf rogue's general problems with being hit. This only allows a single attack, so it has to count. She'll be 10th level, LN alignment. SRD, Complete series, and PHB II are allowed, although prestige classes are 1 per character. Thanks, and merry Christmas.

You might want to look at the Raptoran race out of Races of the Wild. If your game is going to have alot of dungeons then I suggest go Rogue; otherwise Scout. Personally I like the wilderness rogue variant out of UA better than the Scout.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Something else to consider:

One of the best bang-for-the-buck magic items for a PC concentrating on ranged attacks is the Quiver of Ehlonna. As I recall, for less than 2000GP, you can carry 6 spears (or something similar in size), 20 javelins (or...) and 60 arrows & bolts (ditto).

A mid- to high-level flying rogue (or related class) so equipped could become a veritable angel of death, raining down not just mundane projectiles, but magical ones. Depending on PC class selection, the PC will also be able to unload the powers of Wands, Rods and Staves (which also fit in the Quiver) and, of course, spells (if the PC has any spellcasting levels).

Shellman

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Something else to consider:

One of the best bang-for-the-buck magic items for a PC concentrating on ranged attacks is the Quiver of Ehlonna. As I recall, for less than 2000GP, you can carry 6 spears (or something similar in size), 20 javelins (or...) and 60 arrows & bolts (ditto).QUOTE]

I used one in a previous game, where my Hound Archon carried three different greatswords. DM ruled that the Quivers description provided sufficient space for storage.

Remove ads