• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winging It!!!!

Now days, I prepare way too much ahead of time. I’ll usually have maps, counters, pictures of all the monsters, ect. I have also gotten into the habit of scanning any purchased adventures (that’s all I run anymore) and converting it into word, making any changes I like. I had been told I was a good DM and I guess this spurred into being way more prepared than completely necessary. Of course I would only use 50% of the material prepared and feel like I was wasting my time playing in the first place.
In the old days (the 80s-mid 90s), I would just run with an outline of that session and all the books at hand. After reading some of the post here, it may be time to try that again. I hope I still have some imagination left.

Fenes

First Post
I take pains building a world with as many NPCs as possible, and (try to at least) track their interactions with the PCs.
When we game, I usually prepare an adventure plot - who wants what using what kind of ressources, how do the PCs enter in it, where does it take place, and a few possible course of actions for the PCs, should they run out of ideas, to cut the "in-game-planning stage" shorter.
I wing it from there, letting the PCs run free, with just the (hopefully) right small nudge to make them participate in the adventure - spinning that off the PCs' long- or short-term goals, background or history.
I like to roll a single 1d6 a lot, or let the Players roll one. 1 means something bad, unlucky or unconvenient happens, a 6 means something good, lucky or convenient happens. As an example, when a PC wants to chat up a random guard and I roll a 1, that guard may be racist vs demihumans, or too crooked or honest to let useful info slip. Or when the PCs, fleeing, duck into a random storehouse a 6 means an deserted place with lots of hiding places, a 1 means they crash a thieving guild dealing with a pirate crew.

Remove ads