Winter ball

Akea

First Post
*snorts* Wow, Jea, I never thought you'd take the hot tub trilogy so seriously! I would love for one to be there, oh yes, nice and toasty warm in an otherwise chilled (assumably?) environment. With martini's. Or ales. Mwahaha.

And fluffy white towels for drying off. And lights and colors and maybe even waterfalls in the hot tub? OR! It could be like... made out of ice like stuff and with a big ice sculpture off to one side, mounted on the wall or somesing. With waterfall of to one side, little blue glowing lights in the water somewhere. You know, cool stuff.

Jeajea

First Post
A direct copy from my forum:

Mark One Dessy:

As you enter the Pegasus Ballroom though the eastern entrance, a magnificent sight greets your eyes even as the sharp cold washes over you. Stepping forwards, you find yourself inside a huge open-topped castle of ice! Above are the stars, as seen on a very clear night. Hanging amidst them is also a low, heavy moon, tonight a very pale white. The walls are crystalline and frosted over, and scatter the starlight around the room with hints of colour.

Beside the entrance is a large mound of assorted furs and coats to fit just about any who wander in. Each carries a minor enchantment to protect from the cold. Standing beside them solemnly is the Foodgolem, with a hat carved out of ice and a white beard tied on with string. His body has been transformed by illusion so that he looks from the neck down a lot like a snowman. His wares for the evening have changed, and he encourages you to try out his winter selection menu.

A gentle hum fills the room, emanating from the irregularly shaped walls. It isn't very loud and is easy to talk over, and somehow musical. A soft layer of snow covers the floor and crunches underfoot with every footfall. Aside from the stars and moon, light for the room is provided by large, roughly circular stone pools filled with slow burning oil. These also provide additional warmth for any who wish it.

The will-o'-the-wisps of last year have returned, though this year (so a sign beside the entrance says) they represent the cherished dead and ancestors of all people. An area with tables, candlesticks and free candles has been set aside to the southern end of the room for anyone who wishes to pay their respects to these tiny, floating lights.

Over to the west, a long table has been set out a short distance from a raised stage. Clustered around both are numerous chairs, all padded with soft, warm furs and woolen coverings. The stage is open to all, though a house band play if no one else takes the stage. The table is absolutely laden with FoodGolem's seasonal foods and a variety of drinks in large wooden kegs with taps for self-service.

To the north can be found a smallish ice rink and much more snow - for snowball fights. A magical barrier prevents the snowballs from straying too far from the area, ensuring that only people who wish to be involved can be hit by snowballs. Meanwhile, the area itself has a variety of obstacles and outcroppings of rock to hide behind whilst engaging in snowball fights.

Welcome to the Winter Ball!

Comments, criticisms, suggested revisions are all welcome.

The original post is here.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Thank you Jea! I'm mashing suggestions together this evening and should get something posted.

Apolline: How about 3-5PM Eastern Time for Saturday? A shorter event, but earlier too.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
rough draft

Moon Made of Snow Ball: A celebration of winter event

As you enter the Pegasus Ballroom from the eastern entrance: Beside the entrance is a large mound of assorted furs and coats to fit just about any that wander in. Each carries a minor enchantment to protect from the cold. The will-o'-the-wisps of last year have returned, though this year (so a sign beside the entrance says) they represent the cherished dead and ancestors of all people. An area with tables, candlesticks and free candles has been set aside to the southern end of the room for anyone who wishes to pay their respects to these tiny, floating lights.

The room is chilly and darkened, the only light coming from the silvery blue glow of the moon and the oil braziers spaced about for warmth and light. The edges of the room are curtained with the illusion of a winter forest, pine trees draped softly in snow and amongst the branches small sparkling lights float airily. Sparkling frosty icicles hang from every surface they can get purchase. The floor seems to have been iced over entirely, though there are areas where the ice is covered with snow so that it is easy to walk. Ice skates are available in all sizes to borrow.

Log benches are placed near the braziers for seating. A few tables are spaced throughout as well, with small oil braziers atop them and fur covered chairs. A large table made of ice off to one side offers everything from turkey legs to more elegant elvish fare, from winter eggnog and warm mulled wine to frostwine. Music floats in eerily from somewhere and a stage is provided for musucians, and in such case the ambient music fades. An area of flagstones is provided in front of the stage for dancing.

To the north can be found much more snow - for snowball fights. A magical barrier prevents the snowballs from straying too far from the area, ensuring that snowballs can hit only people who wish to be involved. The area itself has a variety of obstacles and outcroppings of rock to hide behind whilst engaging in snowball fights. Also in this corner is what appears to be a large barrel made of ice, though it is filled with steaming water. Gears, cogs and other assorted oddities spin and clack below the device, obviously Gnomish design. A ladder welcomes one up into this raised bath of heated steaming water.

Last edited:

Dontella

First Post
If it's this Sunday I won't be able to make it, due to prior scheduled RP eventyness that requires my presence be elsewhere. Awwwwwww!

But if you do have it this Sunday, have fun! :)

Kallikrates

First Post
I love the details!

And I feel special that my earlier rambling was actually used as the title! :)

Guess I can count that as an early present! :p

Right....I might try to attend with one of my characters....

Magi_Apolline

ISRP Moderator
Magi_Nashira said:
Thank you Jea! I'm mashing suggestions together this evening and should get something posted.

Apolline: How about 3-5PM Eastern Time for Saturday? A shorter event, but earlier too.

Many apologies for my slow response. Yes, I can be available for that. I'll gladly host it for our friends unavailable to make it to the ball on Sunday.

Remove ads