Winter Fantasy Roll Call

warfteiner

First Post
More tickets are hitting the WF site Tuesday night at 9pm EST. I will be running 1 table of my new AO "Those That Came Before" on Saturday morning at tier 3, and 1 table of that same adventure at tier 4 on Saturday night. More events are being added as well.

Hope to see you all there!

Motorskills

Explorer
So I picked up a couple of duplicates for Slots 1 and 2, missed out on the Slot 2 AO (but wasn't super-hopeful to begin with!).

I'm definitely looking forward to WF2017, and with the extra space granted by not having Pathfinder there, hopefully there will be enough space between tables to enable conversations to be had.

(WF2016 was not as nutso, noise-wise, as the DCC tables at GenCon, nearly asked for my money back, save for the fact that
a) I want to spend my money!
b) the DM and other players at my table were awesome

If I have understood correctly, there are multiple Epics running, at different times? My one and only Epic to date was WF2016 so I don't have much to compare against, but I'm unclear how that will work. Not worried, just interested!

I'll try to get a Slot Zero game sorted out. Failing that I might actually run something.... :)

Grubble

First Post
If I have understood correctly, there are multiple Epics running, at different times? My one and only Epic to date was WF2016 so I don't have much to compare against, but I'm unclear how that will work. Not worried, just interested!

More epics with fewer tables at each.

Having ran the Iron Baron, it definitely benefits from this format. There is a lot more inter-table interaction which would get crazy with 40+ tables.

Happy they opened up another t4 table on Sunday, we grabbed a pair of seats to that. Didn't try for any of the other AO's since we have one slot already and didn't want to be greedy.

Kroad

First Post
Just about 2 weeks out and looking forward to things.

One of my least favorite parts of large conventions is the chaos surrounding mustering. To that end I thought I'd see if any groups of 2 are interested in joining our existing group of 4. Specifically we are looking for players doing either (or both) of:

Tier 2 D&D Mid-Track A (Hulburg): Slots 2, 4, 7 & 9. We have plenty of characters to choose from so roles don't particularly matter but we would prefer to play this at low-mid end of the Tier 2 range (say levels 5-8).

Tier 3: Reeducation Slots 5 & 6: We are on the very low end of this scale with everyone either 11 or 12. Here we've got a BBN, Bard, Wizard and Rogue.

In terms of playstyle we are all veteran players of 20+ years. We tend to deliberately avoid the bleeding edge of optimization, and are more interested in having a good time than trying to break the game. That said we're happy to tell the GM to up the challenge level provided everyone is in agreement.

Let me know if this sounds interesting and I'm happy to provide more information!

scrooge847

First Post
Edit2: Thank you to everyone for your interest! These tickets have been claimed. If, for whatever reason, that transaction falls through, I will be in contact again.

Edit: I only just realized I can't make PMs because I don't have 5 posts. If the person who already PM'd me could email me instead at [redacted], I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Due to some last-minute schedule changes for my group, I have some extra tickets available for otherwise sold-out events. These are the tickets I have available:

DDAO-10, tier 4, slot 5: 1 ticket ($14)
DDEP 5-2, tier 3, slot 6: 1 ticket ($12)
DDAO-14, tier 2, slot 10: 3 tickets ($14 each)

I would only ask for face value in exchange for the ticket(s). If there are multiple parties interested, I would give priority to someone willing to purchase all 5 tickets ($68) so that I only have to make one transaction. If you are interested or know someone who is, please contact me via PM. Thanks!

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
Edit: I only just realized I can't make PMs because I don't have 5 posts. If the person who already PM'd me could email me instead at toham31[at]hotmail.com, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Due to some last-minute schedule changes for my group, I have some extra tickets available for otherwise sold-out events. These are the tickets I have available:

DDAO-10, tier 4, slot 5: 1 ticket ($14)
DDEP 5-2, tier 3, slot 6: 1 ticket ($12)
DDAO-14, tier 2, slot 10: 3 tickets ($14 each)

I would only ask for face value in exchange for the ticket(s). If there are multiple parties interested, I would give priority to someone willing to purchase all 5 tickets ($68) so that I only have to make one transaction. If you are interested or know someone who is, please contact me via PM. Thanks!

PM sent

Motorskills

Explorer
Fantastic event, much more enjoyable than last year - better use of the available space (including making even more room by booting the Pathfinder games....)
The sheer volume of noise at the 2016 event, caused by crunched seven-man tables, made it harder (less fun!) to play, and gave me a headache by the end of each day.

Conversely, the 2017 Epics ran extremely smoothly. It was a great idea to
i) run only a few (10+!) tables at a time
ii) to have two Epics

One of my Epic DMs had his significant other work as a "statistician". That was fantastic, allowed him to focus on the tactics, rather than the maths. An idea with legs, methinks....!

Fai Chen was a minor bump, easily fixable IMO.

A bigger issue is the registration process.
I would recommend Baldman look at both OwlCon, and the much smaller Role Play Rally, for inspiration for how to improve their events.

OwlCon has a wonderful "what's available" system, and it can be both slot-limited and timelocked.
If Baldman adopted a similar model, they could minimize the initial tsunami, and also avoid the terrible situation of a few people getting everything, and the rest of us plebs - who pay the same, or more! - getting the scraps that are left.

Give DMs and volunteers priority. (Ideally give them priority at a future year's event. "If you DM / Volunteer at four slots in 2018, we will give you priority in 2019).

I spent $210 on entry and event tickets to WF2017.
Role Play Rally in Austin has a "premium" service that helps them offset costs. It's not rich man takes all, more of a win-win approach.

So if that model was applied to W2018, I think I would have been prepared to spend $250 to get:
1 x Baldman quad-length special
2 x Epics
1 x AO event
4 regular slots of my choosing
Lower priority on the remaining four slots
(Something like that, maths TBD....)

Just to repeat - I had a great time at WF2017, I consider it money well-spent. But after my suboptimal experience at WF 2016, I wasn't confident of that going in....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Fantastic event, much more enjoyable than last year - better use of the available space (including making even more room by booting the Pathfinder games....)
The sheer volume of noise at the 2016 event, caused by crunched seven-man tables, made it harder (less fun!) to play, and gave me a headache by the end of each day.

Conversely, the 2017 Epics ran extremely smoothly. It was a great idea to
i) run only a few (10+!) tables at a time
ii) to have two Epics

One of my Epic DMs had his significant other work as a "statistician". That was fantastic, allowed him to focus on the tactics, rather than the maths. An idea with legs, methinks....!

Fai Chen was a minor bump, easily fixable IMO.

A bigger issue is the registration process.
I would recommend Baldman look at both OwlCon, and the much smaller Role Play Rally, for inspiration for how to improve their events.

OwlCon has a wonderful "what's available" system, and it can be both slot-limited and timelocked.
If Baldman adopted a similar model, they could minimize the initial tsunami, and also avoid the terrible situation of a few people getting everything, and the rest of us plebs - who pay the same, or more! - getting the scraps that are left.

Give DMs and volunteers priority. (Ideally give them priority at a future year's event. "If you DM / Volunteer at four slots in 2018, we will give you priority in 2019).

I spent $210 on entry and event tickets to WF2017.
Role Play Rally in Austin has a "premium" service that helps them offset costs. It's not rich man takes all, more of a win-win approach.

So if that model was applied to W2018, I think I would have been prepared to spend $250 to get:
1 x Baldman quad-length special
2 x Epics
1 x AO event
4 regular slots of my choosing
Lower priority on the remaining four slots
(Something like that, maths TBD....)

Just to repeat - I had a great time at WF2017, I consider it money well-spent. But after my suboptimal experience at WF 2016, I wasn't confident of that going in....
Any news of interest for the AL?

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Motorskills

Explorer
More tickets are hitting the WF site Tuesday night at 9pm EST. I will be running 1 table of my new AO "Those That Came Before" on Saturday morning at tier 3, and 1 table of that same adventure at tier 4 on Saturday night. More events are being added as well.

Hope to see you all there!

How did the T4(s) go? I would imagine those needes some serious buy-in from the players to keep things flowing?

Motorskills

Explorer
Any news of interest for the AL?

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Baldman is rolling out its AL-legal adventures. HULB2 was...okay. I enjoyed the mini-epic that was the last chapter of four, albeit it was a bit of a gonzo-shock after the mostly straight earlier chapters.

Epics were great (though the "breach" on one of them simply caused our DM to get confused and delayed).

Remove ads