• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wintertouched and Lasting Frost

guindone

First Post
Hi all,

I'm interested on the general feeling and rules interpretations regarding the whole Cold Weapon + Lasting Frost + Wintertouched issue.

Do the rules support it or don't they? Actual citations from the rulebooks would be very appreciated as a means to prove your point(s).

Cheers and thanks for any clarification you can provide,

Mercury.

MrBeens

First Post
There isn't really an issue - it works.
I don't have rule book reference right now, but there have been loads of threads talking about this.
Have a look back a few pages and you are bound to find one.

Thundershield

First Post
It seems to be a minor issue if one at all.

Some, including yours truly, find it perfectly acceptable for 2 feats and a specific choice of weapon enchantment to give CA and +5 damage if the character focuses on a target.

Of course there are some that don't find it acceptable, but they're always free to house-rule it.

Klaus

First Post
Hi all,

I'm interested on the general feeling and rules interpretations regarding the whole Cold Weapon + Lasting Frost + Wintertouched issue.

Do the rules support it or don't they? Actual citations from the rulebooks would be very appreciated as a means to prove your point(s).

Cheers and thanks for any clarification you can provide,

Mercury.
If you make an attack using a weapon or implement that have a keyword (like, say, a Frost weapon in "deal cold damage" mode), that keyword is added to the power's keywords. So, yes, every attack with a Frost weapon is a Cold power. As such, it benefits of Lasting Frost, which in turn triggers Wintertouched.

Thundershield

First Post
If it's any reconciliation to those actually bothered by this, a Frost weapon turns all damage into cold damage, making it relatively easy to resist, thus mitigating at least some of the benefit gained from this combo.

Thundershield

First Post
Doesn't that depend on the weapon? Because I'm pretty sure it's a free action to turn the frost damage off...
Well, sure you can turn off the Frost, but that defies the point of having the Wintertouched and Lasting Frost feats as you won't strike your target with a cold attack, then.

Majushi

First Post
Is the cold trait (what is required to get the CA, right?) and the cold damage automatically linked?

Can he have the cold trait added to the power without the power doing cold damage?

Klaus

First Post
Is the cold trait (what is required to get the CA, right?) and the cold damage automatically linked?

Can he have the cold trait added to the power without the power doing cold damage?
If you activate the property, all damage dealt by the weapon is cold damage. The Cold keyword is added to the other keywords. I don't know if the damage may become, say "radiant and cold" (in the case of a cleric wielding a Frost mace, for instance), or if the damage is all cold and the power retains the Radiant keyword.

Mahali

Explorer
If you activate the property, all damage dealt by the weapon is cold damage. The Cold keyword is added to the other keywords. I don't know if the damage may become, say "radiant and cold" (in the case of a cleric wielding a Frost mace, for instance), or if the damage is all cold and the power retains the Radiant keyword.

The general rule is the key word is added to others. However, the item says (specific rule) that "all damage dealt by this weapon is cold damage." So it becomes the only key word for the damage.

Note: There is debate about use of implements. The wording says using the power of the implement adds the keyword. I'm of the opinion that if you have a Frost Weapon as an Implement it does not add Cold keyword to damage unless it has a Weapon keyword (meaning you're swing the sword, not chanelling through it).

Remove ads