• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wintertouched and Lasting Frost

Thundershield

First Post
I would not, however. Keywords aren't the same as damage. While a Frost weapon does convert all damage dealt to cold damage and adds the Cold keyword, it does not remove any existing keywords.

The power would still retain other damage-type keywords, although their only purpose would be for the sake of other powers and effects (such as a Utility power that allows you to reroll the attack roll of a Radiant power, for instance).

Resistances, however, are not dependent on what keywords an attack has, but on the type of damage dealt, meaning only Resist Cold would be necessary to mitigate the damage of a Frost-weapon-modified attack.

Majushi

First Post
I think my questions are;

1) can you add the cold keyword without the damage being cold?

2) do the feats that grant CA with cold key off of keywords or cold damage?

Klaus

First Post
I think my questions are;

1) can you add the cold keyword without the damage being cold?

2) do the feats that grant CA with cold key off of keywords or cold damage?
1 ) For Frost weapons, no. Only the at-will and daily powers have the Cold keyword.

2) Keywords.

hrrpg1

First Post
My DM says that those feats will only work if the monster is vulnerable and he tells me that not many are vulnerable. What do you all think?

wolff96

First Post
My DM says that those feats will only work if the monster is vulnerable and he tells me that not many are vulnerable. What do you all think?

I think he's one of the DMs that feels the combination is overly powerful and has chosen to change the way it works in his game.

It's a house-rule and it's not all THAT uncommon.

It is, however, a house-rule. By the RAW, it works with the two feats and a Frost weapon (or any other source of Cold damage).

Droogie128

First Post
From the Q&A forums on the wizards website:

Q: Does a Frost weapon trigger effects based on the Cold keyword such as Wintertouched and Lasting Frost?

a: As PHB page 226 states, using a weapon with a keyword in an attack made with a racial or class power, the power you are using does gain the weapon's keyword.

Thus making using attack with a Frost Weapon makes that power be Cold as well as whatever other types of damage it was. If you use the weapon's free action power, all damage will be cold.

This will function with both the Winter Touched and Lasting Frost feats

DracoSuave

First Post
Some misconceptions to clear up:

When you use a -power- of an item with a keyword -in conjunction- with another power, that is when the keywords of the item's -power- apply. So, using, for example, a wand of icy terrain to attack does not grant all powers used with it the cold keyword.

Secondly:

The ability of a frost weapon is not a property, it is a power, and that is why it works with the above.

So, yes, Wintertouched and Lasting Frost -do- work together. As does Arcane Fire, which if you're some sort of fire-flinging arcane user might be an even easier build for you to manage, as you can do it with a human at level 1, and get the frost weapon pretty much at that level.

Trainz

Explorer
Let me get this straight:

If my Paragon elven bow ranger buys a frost bow and get these two feats, after he hits the critter, all his subsequent attacks (given that at least one attack hits every round) would have CA and inflict 5 more damage?

Same goes for a paragon rogue wielding a cold weapon, automatic sneak attack?

:angel:

Cadfan

First Post
Trainz- Technically yes. However, many of us suspect that this was an oversight. The feats seem designed to boost spellcasters who create their own magical energies, rather than being feats taken by a player that somehow make their items more powerful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads