D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Old water-logged and rotting pinewood, the wood's natural strength having kept it from decomposing yet. Like the rest of the hut, it is uncared for. Long scratch marks against the grain are a chilling reminder to Elora of the iron claws of the black annis hag she and Fergus slew in a village to the west. At one point there were engravings in the wooden arch, totemic in nature, but they've long since been weathered away by rain. This hut may very well be the oldest building in Lower Posada.[/SECTION]

GM: Investigation, as I use it, doesn't reveal clues like Arcana or Perception might; instead it helps you make sense of clues you've already found, make logical connections, educated guesses, deductive reasoning, etc.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: In my games I want to encourage you, as much as possible, not to think in terms of "doing a X check."

Rather, describe what you want your character to do and/or look for, and then the check (if any is required) comes organically out of that.

I find it makes for muuuuuch better play. Because then there's stuff to work off of, especially for me as DM. If I get "nothing in" it's hard for me to continue to give "great stuff out." Does that make sense?

EDIT: There are lots of leads, I assure you, I take pains to make a compelling mystery while avoiding "dead-end" pitfalls. If you guys feel stuck, I highly recommend talking about it openly rather than "throwing dice" at it. :) My random encounter finger gets twitchy when players start throwing mountains of dice without forethought. ;)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]The best that Talashia can make out, upon close inspection of the stone buttressing the arch are weathered engravings that, from a certain perspective, resemble leathery wings. Bats, maybe? Nesting on a cradle or a log? Some kind of animal totem.

Portals discovered by the Lodge of Sorceresses tend to be jealously guarded secrets. Golems and elementals and magical traps would serve as a first line of defense. Then there might be trapped runes, most likely a form of illusory script, with a puzzle whose answer hints at the operation of the portal. However, after gazing upon it with her innate Source senses, Talashia knows there is no illusion magic around this portal.[/SECTION]

Fenris

Adventurer
Fergus had come back from the river sour look upon his face evidence of his lack of success in any trace of the drowners. He watched the Sources examining the doorway for clue. mechanism or clue.

Following his own totem, Fergus steps on a knot and begins to climb the tree, not only to get a better look at the charms festooned about it, but to get a better view of the whole picture, a new perspective.

Remove ads