D&D 5E Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Back at Caer Greu, the old witchers had a saying: "The Law of Surprise comes from above." Humor from the humorless. As Fergus ascends the gnarled misshapen oak in the center of the hut, a breeze blows through the sundry charms dangling from its leafless branches, causing them to twirl in the breeze. Some are oak-carved prayer cards hanging from a bit of cordage, others copper coins of Aedirn and Lyria with holes punched through them to allow a leather cord threaded through, others twisted bone and feather fetishes and straw dolls. Many villages boast such "charm trees."

At last, ascending as high as the aging boughs could support him, Fergus has a 360-degree view of the village and surrounding terrain...

To the North, where the cold winds and griffons come from, Fergus can see over the copse of woods where you'd fought the drowners, and the brewery overlooking the slow-moving Arel River. There is the bridge where you'd entered the village while Elora chatted with the farmer Leofort and his two sons. From this vantage point, Fergus can make out a small shrine to Melitele hidden off the roadside by a cluster of boulders and trees. And even further beyond is the hillside graveyard and the old windmill overlooking the crossroads which leads to the Aedirnian border and Blue Mountains.

To the East, where the dawn rises, is the Inn of the Sojourn Plough and the fête grounds, and all the small village trades that follow the Arel River upstream - boatwrights, sawmills, wheat mills, a fisherman's wharf, tannery, smithy, and the road towards the Valley of Flowers. A small hamlet lies just a mile away on the other side of the Arel's banks, what you've heard the peasants refer to disparagingly as "Upper Posada." Outside the village, the road hugs the northernmost edge of a vast dark stretch of pine forest that seems to go on forever. At the very edge of Fergus' vision, the trail enters misty moorland at the edge of the Valley of Flowers.

To the South, the direction of Nilfgaard's heart, are a tangle of family homes, provisioners, barns, and granaries. Further out are fields of flax, hops, and wheat glistening in the morning light, with a mule and ox trail wending through them towards hills that mark the border with Lyria and the Blue Mountains. Buttressing the hills is a lake over a mile long with an island at the center marked by a rock-carved ruined keep that at first appears to be a heap of boulders before Fergus realizes its true nature.

And to the West, where the sun sets over the Skellige isles far too far too be seen, following the Arel River downstream are fallow fields intermixed with copses of trees. There is a slow bleed from fruit and hardwood trees to larger oaks, which then blend into a mixed oak and pine forest. A flutter of wings catches Fergus' eye at the edge of the woods, but their distinctive flitting is that of bats, not birds.[/SECTION]

GM: Ok [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] if you want to look in a particular direction for further details, let me know what you're keeping an eye out for and make a Perception check.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Besides the obvious signs of the fight against the (alleged) drowners, of whom the only trace are splotches of vile black blood, the only obviously recently used items are the stone mortar and pestle resting on the old table which seems to have grown into the ancient gnarled oak. Or rather, the other way around. The mortar and pestle are pristinely kept, as if the only thing truly cared for in the ruined hut were those two items. Within are tiny traces of ground seeds and flower buds used within the last two days - otherwise the rain two nights ago would have washed the mortar out.

The very same mortar and pestle that Elora seems to be surreptitiously avoiding.[/SECTION]

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia turns away from the portal in a foul temper. "Hmph. It doesn't look like it has a lot of magic defenses. We had more trouble the other night, and we didn't even touch the portal then."

She pauses then. That...was kind of odd, wasn't it? There HAD been magic defenses, but not on the door. When did you not put magic defenses on a door?

"...when they're on a key..." the sorceress murmured.

Talashia turned to look at the table again, quickly finding the mortar and pestle. Immediately she noticed the residue inside it.

"Elora, do you know herb lore? We need to work out what was crushed in this. I think this is what opens the portal."

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Anyone examining the crushed seeds and flowers – which will require touching and smelling and examining them up close – can make a DC 12 Intelligence (Nature) or Intelligence (herbalism kit) check to identify the seeds and flowers.

A success at DC 12 identifies both.

A success at DC 17+ lets you choose one of the following:
  • If you're trained in Arcana, also recall magical uses for these seeds and flowers (e.g. spell components or magic item creation).
  • If you're trained in History or Religion, also recall cultural lore and myths/superstitions about these seeds and flowers.
  • If you're trained in Investigation, also determine how they were ground up precisely, including the size and strength of the person doing the grinding, how fine they were ground, were they dry or wet when ground, any added non-herbal components, etc.
  • If you're trained in Survival, also deduce a nearby area where these seeds and flowers grow.

A failure at less than 12 means you can't identify the seeds and flowers because the traces are too flimsy. No one can re-test this check until a mending spell or maybe divination is cast upon the mortar-and-pestle with the seed and flower remnants.

A failure at 7 or less, and you must choose one of the following:
  • You accidentally trigger protective magic warding the mortar-and-pestle!
  • You incorrectly identify the seeds and flowers!

Fenris

Adventurer
Fergus takes in the decorations on the tree before looking on all the cardinal directions. Griffons like their perches. The forest to the east catches his attention, and he scans it more closely, looking for signs of habitation, a clearing, smoke or some sign.

Perception
_: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17

Queenie

Queen of Everything
GM: In my games I want to encourage you, as much as possible, not to think in terms of "doing a X check."

Rather, describe what you want your character to do and/or look for, and then the check (if any is required) comes organically out of that.

I find it makes for muuuuuch better play. Because then there's stuff to work off of, especially for me as DM. If I get "nothing in" it's hard for me to continue to give "great stuff out." Does that make sense?

EDIT: There are lots of leads, I assure you, I take pains to make a compelling mystery while avoiding "dead-end" pitfalls. If you guys feel stuck, I highly recommend talking about it openly rather than "throwing dice" at it. :) My random encounter finger gets twitchy when players start throwing mountains of dice without forethought. ;)

Yah, I'm sorry. We're traveling so I got lazy :blush:

:lol:

Quickleaf

Legend
Thick pine woods blanket the eastern horizon, beginning at the edge of the little hamlet of Upper Posada. As his eyes scan along the edge of the woods, trailing south from the hamlet, Fergus spies a thin stream of smoke – likely from a cabin. Even further south, at the eastern edge of the lake where it cuts into the woods are faint signs of an old citadel, likely elven if it's in Dol Blathanna. The rest of the woods are a single dark swath, impossible to pinpoint other features. Any Scioa'tael camps are likely well hidden. Lower Posada and its neighboring hamlet are indeed the edge of the "civilized" world.

Fenris

Adventurer
"Tamaran, there appears to be some smoke coming from the forest to the east. Where no smoke has any business being. It is on the way to the Valley of Flowers. If Nan is a guardian, would it not make sense for her to have a second location closer the the Valley?" calls down Fergus.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: There are Scioa'tael in the area, but they probably wouldn't be making obvious smoke fires close to the human-dominated settlement.

Remove ads