• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

With Star Wars Saga Edition do I need other d20 SW books?

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
I did flounder around the wookiepedia site and it is quite informative. The damage is done for the most part, I picked up everything except the adventures and the previous core books.

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Thank you for mentioning this. I at first thought you meant those thinnish white books that skim over topics, but these look very handy and I will certainly check them out.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Nebulous said:
Some books that i found INCREDIBLY useful for a Star Wars campaign aren't from WotC at all:

Essential Guides to Everything Star Wars

Of course, you'll be spending a pretty penny on all of these, but the quality is top notch. There's nothing quite like seeing the schematic layout of the entire Death Star.
I agree. I just bought most of these books (via used book vendors on Amazon to keep costs down), and they're pretty good.

pawsplay

Hero
Nebulous said:
Some books that i found INCREDIBLY useful for a Star Wars campaign aren't from WotC at all:

Of course, you'll be spending a pretty penny on all of these, but the quality is top notch. There's nothing quite like seeing the schematic layout of the entire Death Star.

They are very good, and further have the virtue of being heavily scrutinized for canon accuracy. J-9 Worker Drones and Gamorrean axes are two things described in those guides that were not correctly described in the RCR material, for instance.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Just a brief note: we've started a line called STAR SYSTEM (link in my signature), which is system-generic support content for any SF RPG. We're calling it "Support for your Saga" -- you might find it useful.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Nebulous said:

Absolutely agreed.

The New Essential Chronology, in particular, lays out the whole history of the Galaxy for you. It's an invaluable resource for Saga.

Donovan Morningfire said:
And with Wookiepedia, there is also the chance that what you're reading isn't entirely accurate, since it isn't a professionally-edited website, and thus being prone to intentional or accidental errors in the information presented.
Heh. Not nearly as good a chance that what you're seeing in my game isn't "entirely accurate" since accuracy isn't something that I care about. Given the inconsistencies just in the movies themselves, I think a lot of fans hold the "C-canon" to ridiculous standards, frankly.

Along the original lines of the OP, though, how useful (or not) is the Dark side sourcebook anymore? To me, it isn't Star Wars if the game doesn't feature a lot of lightsaber battles, Sith lords, and all that jazz, so I'm keenly interested in if the corebook supports them sufficiently well, or if I need more info there.

Hobo said:
Along the original lines of the OP, though, how useful (or not) is the Dark side sourcebook anymore? To me, it isn't Star Wars if the game doesn't feature a lot of lightsaber battles, Sith lords, and all that jazz, so I'm keenly interested in if the corebook supports them sufficiently well, or if I need more info there.
Personal opinion? Crunch bits aside (most of which are largely obsolete under Saga Edition w/o some re-tooling), I've found DSSB to be one of the best books WotC has put out for the Star Wars lines. From advice on how to run dark side villains to full-fledged dark side campaigns to falling to the dark side, I've more than gotten my money's worth out of that book.

As far as non-crunch goes, Dark Side and Power of the Jedi are probably two of the best in terms of usefulness to both players and GMs. In fact, I'd suggest that anyone that wants to play a Jedi, a true-to-concept Jedi, should give the second chapter of PotJ (the one just after all the game crunch in form of new prestige classes) a serious read-through, even if you've been playing a Jedi for years in various Star Wars games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads