D&D 5E With the Holy Trinity out, let's take stock of 5E

Nefzyflin

Explorer
I've been playing on and off since 1984. I played BECMI, 1rst , 2nd, 3rd, C&C, Pathfinder. I skipped out on 3.5 and 4th.

The fact that some of the rules are left open to interpretation is an absolutely great thing, that I think some people simply, just do not understand. It allows me as DM, to handle specific situations in a way that makes sense TO that situation, and in a way that I'M comfortable with. All the while allowing YOU as DM to handle that same situation in a way YOU are comfortable with, and yet we are still playing the same game !

They have made a game that doesn't in any way try to force you to play THEIR way, but encourages you to play YOUR way.

Hands down, the best version of the game in my opinion.

Nef

Last edited:

ferratus

Adventurer
I like 5e well enough, certainly better than 1, 2, and 3. While I don't want to play 4e (combat too grindy) there are a few things I wish were kept.

Monsters having their spell abilities spelled out right in the monster splat block would have been nice. Looking up spells for monsters when there is only one PHB at the table is difficult, especially with 3 other players looking up their spells.

In a related note, powers are kind of hidden in the rulebook unless you do a careful study. They often can also be quite complex. In 4e everything you could do was pretty much laid out on your character sheet or power cards. So a newbie player could just show up and have his own reference material without the PHB. 3e/PF at least has the online SRD, which 5e doesn't have either.

So a lot of issues I have with 5e could be solved with good electronic tools.

JeffB

Legend
Solid if uninspiring rules set. nothing all that fresh/exciting if you play things besides D&D, but plays well at the table so far. I also think the art and aesthetics are uninspiring.

I could live with all that, no problems, if it had decent adventure support, but the adventure path/story script is exactly the opposite of what I had hoped for.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Solid if uninspiring rules set. nothing all that fresh/exciting if you play things besides D&D, but plays well at the table so far. I also think the art and aesthetics are uninspiring.

I could live with all that, no problems, if it had decent adventure support, but the adventure path/story script is exactly the opposite of what I had hoped for.

Uninspired? Really that's the word you are going to use? If anything I would call this game the most inspired of all D&Ds. Uninspired... what.. I just.. what!?

JeffB

Legend
Uninspired? Really that's the word you are going to use? If anything I would call this game the most inspired of all D&Ds. Uninspired... what.. I just.. what!?

Yep. That's the word. I play alot of other games & D&D derivatives, and there is nothing in 5e that I find all that fresh or exciting. It may be new to D&D, just like when the unified mechanics of 3.0 came out, or 4e's skill challenges, but it had been around for years in other games.

Nefzyflin

Explorer

I agree.

I remember that feeling I had, when a friend of mine first introduced me to D&D. As he's explaining the game to me, he pulls out the 1rst Ed PHB and DMG. The sense of wonder and awe I had at that time, that there actually was a game like this. Blew my mind.

I picked up my DMG yesterday, and as I entered the store and saw it sitting on the shelf, something amazing happened. For the first time in 30 years, that feeling came back. It was strange to feel that again. But awesome at the same time.

Nef

Yep. That's the word. I play alot of other games & D&D derivatives, and there is nothing in 5e that I find all that fresh or exciting. It may be new to D&D, just like when the unified mechanics of 3.0 came out, or 4e's skill challenges, but it had been around for years in other games.

This DandD feels a lot like the newer Mario and Zelda games. Are they innovative? Not really. Do they include anything other games haven't? Not for the most part. Are they polished to all hell and absolutely a blast to play? You're damn right. And I'll take a super fun and easy to run game over an immensely difficult but innovative one.

fjw70

Adventurer
I like 5e well enough, certainly better than 1, 2, and 3. While I don't want to play 4e (combat too grindy) there are a few things I wish were kept.

Monsters having their spell abilities spelled out right in the monster splat block would have been nice. Looking up spells for monsters when there is only one PHB at the table is difficult, especially with 3 other players looking up their spells.

In a related note, powers are kind of hidden in the rulebook unless you do a careful study. They often can also be quite complex. In 4e everything you could do was pretty much laid out on your character sheet or power cards. So a newbie player could just show up and have his own reference material without the PHB. 3e/PF at least has the online SRD, which 5e doesn't have either.

So a lot of issues I have with 5e could be solved with good electronic tools.

I'd be really happy with some PDFs of the books. Lack of ebooks is my only complaint so far. I am super they will be available eventually but that doesn't do me any good today.

JeffB

Legend
This DandD feels a lot like the newer Mario and Zelda games. Are they innovative? Not really. Do they include anything other games haven't? Not for the most part. Are they polished to all hell and absolutely a blast to play? You're damn right. And I'll take a super fun and easy to run game over an immensely difficult but innovative one.

Edit- understood.

Last edited:

Remove ads